• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Luke Ascending

Share/Bookmark

The Luke Ascending

Greetings to all, and sorry for my long absence (again!)

I thought you might like to see something a little silly I did recently, just for fun - a mashup of The Lark Ascending (Vaughan Williams) and the Star Wars theme (John Willliams). Strings are from Dimension Pro, everything else is GPO.

I had a nice experience over the weekend - I got to attend a songwriting seminar given by Frank Myers (writer of I Swear, I'm Already There, On My Front Porch Looking In). He critiqued one of my songs for me. Very informative!

I hope everyone's doing well.
    Owen

<font size="3">

__________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: The Luke Ascending

It is not silly. It sounds great.
    Suggesting to use your left hand on the mod wheel more energetically, adding more dynamic variation to your flute and some reduction of the overall volume of the flute, a more balanced mix would even bring out more of the beauty of your flute.
    Very nice indeed.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    It is not silly. It sounds great.
    Suggesting to use your left hand on the mod wheel more energetically, adding more dynamic variation to your flute and some reduction of the overall volume of the flute, a more balanced mix would even bring out more of the beauty of your flute.
    Very nice indeed.
    Ted
    Thanks, Ted, for the suggestion - I do have a tendency to forget that my hand is on the wheel! I'll give it some attention.

That is pretty AND clever also, Mister Englishperson. I am a lover of organ-style "pedal tones" and you used them well throughout the piece.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I hope that you are in good health.

Best,

Larry Alexander

1. A seamless inter-weaving together of two "classics." Who knows what RVW would have thought, but hey, if an ascending lark keeps ascending, the Force he will encounter, yes, and perhaps RVW too.

2. I sure do envy your keyboard skills.

3. Now that I know what you really look like that, who is that in your avatar? (I know many of the great composers faces, but not this one).

4. Great to hear from you!

Quote Originally Posted by larryalex1 View Post
    That is pretty AND clever also, Mister Englishperson. I am a lover of organ-style "pedal tones" and you used them well throughout the piece.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

I hope that you are in good health.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Larry! Good to hear from you. Well, the pedal tones come from RVW - I'm just playing his score. But glad you liked, anyway!

I'm doing better, thanks - in large part due to changing my circumstances. Still recovering physically, but in much better spirits. Thanks for asking.

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    1. A seamless inter-weaving together of two "classics." Who knows what RVW would have thought, but hey, if an ascending lark keeps ascending, the Force he will encounter, yes, and perhaps RVW too.

2. I sure do envy your keyboard skills.

3. Now that I know what you really look like that, who is that in your avatar? (I know many of the great composers faces, but not this one).

4. Great to hear from you!

Thanks for the reply, Michael! RVW would have probably hated it! Somehow I can't imagine Farmer Darth plowing his barley field.

That is me in my avatar, but with a moustache. I have since removed it.

Ho Owen,

A very creative and inspiring combination of pieces. Well done. Somewhat surprising at first, but it sounds really great.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Ho Owen,

A very creative and inspiring combination of pieces. Well done. Somewhat surprising at first, but it sounds really great.

Max
    Thanks, Max! Surprising is what I was hoping for!

This is excellent, Owen!
    A great idea to combine two musical strands and make them work together. It sounds much more than just a mashup, sounds as if these two elements are made for each other!

Reinhold

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast