• Register
  • Help

Topic: Score for Indiana Jones game

Share/Bookmark

Score for Indiana Jones game

I just listened to the \"Indy Action\" mp3 from the Indiana Jones game on the LucasArts site. I noticed that they used some of the Melody from the actual movie score. My question is does John Williams get credit for having some of his melody used even though the score was composed by Clint? I don\'t see anywhere on the website where he gets credit. Of course I don\'t own the game, so I don\'t for sure if they do give him credit or not. Is it possible because it\'s only a couple bars, they don\'t have to really give him credit?

Re: Score for Indiana Jones game

I\'d like to take your question one step further? Does JW get ASCAP royalties for all of these LucasArts games using his music or some kind of royalty? Or does LucasArts in some way own the copyright?

Just a guess, but I bet LucasArts owns everything (movie stuff too), the music for the game was probably a buyout, so LucasArts STILL owns everything, so all interests are taken care of at their end.

John Williams has, as far as I know, never sold any rights to any of his music.

------------
    Alex Cremers

I don\'t know about the royalties, but I do seem to remember him being credited as the composer of the Raider\'s March in the credits - or \'original Indy theme by\' or something to that extend.

John Williams has, as far as I know, never sold any rights to any of his music.

I suspect you are wrong. Like all Hollywood composers Mr Williams music is writern as \"work for hire\" . It is not his. \"Indiana Jones\" music in all it\'s forms is owned by the studio. They can do with it what they want. Mr williams will get some renumeration for it\'s use.

ed

As amazing as it sounds, I have also read that JW works under a \"Work for Hire\" agreement.

I can\'t think of any composer in Hollywood that DOESN\'T compose under a \"Work for Hire\" contract. The studios pretty much own everything. There are generally royalty agreements and the composers do generally have reversion rights for compositions not used for the specific project they were written for, though.

Go Back to forum