• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lalo Schifrin scoring SplinterCell

Lalo Schifrin scoring SplinterCell

Ubisoft hired Lalo Schifrin (Mission Impossible) to score Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Well, everyone\'s going for well-known film musicians nowadays. Is our time ending ?!

Re: Lalo Schifrin scoring SplinterCell

I thought he was only hired to do the main theme.

But rest assured, if you got no name, your days are numbered. Games like SplinterCell sell big time and are very attractive for all kinds of famous composers to be involved in for numerous reasons.

Alex Cremers

EDIT: Well, I don\'t know. As far as I read the news it sounded like \"complete score\".

...but I agree as far as \"names go\". Same for Everquest 2... Laura K. who did various SciFi series (e.g. Taken) does the complete score for EQ2 (though I don\'t like the theme at all - I even don\'t like \"Prague\").

It\'s interesting and sad as well. They spent big money on a name although there are a lot of composeres out there who definetly do the same work for less, if not even better.

Well, if they are entering game biz - let\'s move on to film biz [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There will always be doom-sayers and trends, but I think a long view is best. I talked last week to a producer for films for the Discovery Channel, and this person was actively recruiting game composers, partly because \"Their music is as good or better as the so-called \"Hollywood\" composers, and their rates are much lower\". Also, there has been game composers going into film. Probably the film composers are complaining about game composers getting into film music. Things are always changing, and it is a big world out there.

I\'m no doom-sayer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sometimes it just sucks, though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It\'s the film composer agents who are starting to recognize there is money to be made in the video game field as well for their clients. I know mine brought up the idea while dangling a $100,000 payoff in front of me. With their % cut.....looking at it from a business standpoint.....film composer agents are going to find more ways they can bring money into their companies and video games is another place. They are more lucrative than any indie film out there.

We\'re dooooomed. And that Donehoo reminds me a \"certain\" captain of a \"certain\" luxurious ship that supposedly couldn\'t sink on April 14, 1912. Doooomed I\'m telling ya all! And this is just the tip of the iceberg!

Alex Cremers

Why I feel the agent aspect of this discussion is important to note....is that agents will now typically package their clients on projects. If as a composer....your agency only represents composers....they might say.....\"well....if you want XYZ famous composer on this bigger project down the road.....you will have to take XYZ lesser known composer on your video game project now.\" (Works on larger companies that do more than just games...Viacom...Universal, etc....).

But the real benefit comes if one is with an agency that represents more areas than just composers. (i.e.....mine also represents actors.....big ones.....in fact they have a game department that supplies actors for games and voice over work......so they are now starting to package their actors with their composers, etc.... saying \"if you want these actors in your game....you have to take our composer and our editor, etc...etc....\"

For the agency, this allows them to keep more $$$ in house. For the developers , it is easier as well because it becomes more of a one stop shop for them in getting their game/movie developed.

It only sucks for the lone game composer who does not have representation (which is hard to get especially for composers). But, if one has already established themselves with the game companies on prior projects.....I would assume if the experience was a good one, you have nothing to worry about. It will continue for you. It is just the new guys that will probably find it harder and harder to get a foot in the door.

It sickens me that more and more outsiders make music for games just because they\'re famous and they smelled the big bucks... Being a good composer is FAR from enough to be a good game composer. If you wanna make good game music, you have to wanna make good games first.

(I\'m not saying Schifrin is not gonna do a good job though).

Go Back to forum