• Help

Topic: Bach Suite #1 for solo Cello - Prelude

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Bach Suite #1 for solo Cello - Prelude

Here a test of my new solo Cello, with the Bach's Prelude excerpt:

Prelude

Any feedback is welcome.

Re: Bach Suite #1 for solo Cello - Prelude

Hi Fabio, that's a very nice cello you have there! The rendition is way better than anything I could ever do. I think you are on the right road, just some cleaning up of articulations is all that is needed.

I imagine that doing this, and making it sound good, is almost as hard as actually playing the cello. (Pablo Cassals rolls over in his grave...).

Hello Yo Yo Ma! Wonderful! Could you give us an idea how much this cello cost? No, I would not buy it, because my meager talent could not use it as you do, and my budget will not allow it either. But some members may just able to buy it.
    Would also love to know how much work you put in this exquisite performance? Days or weeks?
    Thanks a lot for posting it. And my favored concerto of Dvorak, for many years I listened only to Yo Yo Ma, but recently I discovered Gautier Capucon, and I got hooked by his incredible playing... ( if you did not yet, it is on Youtube....)

Ted

Thumbs down Re: Bach Suite #1 for solo Cello - Prelude

For Michael:

www.samplemodeling.com/en

This will take you there, the cello is new, I think it is 129 euro

Ted

Cool Re: Bach Suite #1 for solo Cello - Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    Hi Fabio, that's a very nice cello you have there! The rendition is way better than anything I could ever do. I think you are on the right road, just some cleaning up of articulations is all that is needed.

I imagine that doing this, and making it sound good, is almost as hard as actually playing the cello. (Pablo Cassals rolls over in his grave...).
    Hi Michael, well you are almost right but just from an attention to details point of view... of course programming the Cello with several parameters (bow position, direction, pressure, fingering, vibrato intensity and speed etc.) is a bit of an art itself, but is way easier than learning Cello! To learn Cello it takes years and years and after that you take days to perfrom perfectly a new difficoult piece... in this case it was just a coupleof hours of experiments to make it. Nice deal, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Hello Yo Yo Ma! Wonderful! Could you give us an idea how much this cello cost? No, I would not buy it, because my meager talent could not use it as you do, and my budget will not allow it either. But some members may just able to buy it.
    Would also love to know how much work you put in this exquisite performance? Days or weeks?
    Thanks a lot for posting it. And my favored concerto of Dvorak, for many years I listened only to Yo Yo Ma, but recently I discovered Gautier Capucon, and I got hooked by his incredible playing... ( if you did not yet, it is on Youtube....)

Ted
    Hi Ted, sorry for late answer, I was away for a while. Yes you were right and fast finding the price and vendors! About my rendition was actually just a couple of hours of experiments: the instrument is complex, but not so difficoult to master. It sounds pretty good out-of-the-box but with a bit of tweeking, as I did, you may mimic a lot of real gestures, creating interesting imitaion of the real plying technic: e.g. in a Garritan instrument it's usually enough to manipulate velocity, cc11 and a keyswitch. In the Samplemodeling SWAM you get several more controllers (for a good control at least 4 or 5 more) about bow and fingers. It is meaning a bit more editing of the sequencer track, but the pleasure of shaping virtually every single note if you want.

Go Back to forum