• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: MIDIoverLAN

Share/Bookmark

MIDIoverLAN

Hi all,

I installed the 14 day trial version of MIDIoverLANand it worked flawlessly with my two computer systems..

Is there another kind of midi over the LAN where I can use one sound card instead of two to run two computers..(A Giga computer and a Sonar Computer)

TIA

Alan Russell

Re: MIDIoverLAN

There is only one MOL as far as I\'m aware.

If you want to do away with a sound card on a secondary DAW (running Giga) I think you\'ll need the Giga VST Wrapper when it comes out.

http://www.fx-max.com

Scott,

you are correct here..
    So shall we wait and hold of on the $59 bucks or put the bucks to the FXTeleport now hoping the VST wrapper for Giga is in the works.

BTW, if I create a second Kontakt machine, will MidioverLan work here or will the FXTeleport be needed.

Alan Russell

Scott,

you are correct here..
    So shall we wait and hold of on the $59 bucks or put the bucks to the FXTeleport now hoping the VST wrapper for Giga is in the works.

BTW, if I create a second Kontakt machine, will MidioverLan work here or will the FXTeleport be needed.

Alan Russell

To use Kontakt on a second machine as a VST you will need FXTeleport. You can run Kontakt as a standalone though on the 2nd machine and control the MIDI part with MOL and use the soundcard. I believe you can only get one instance standalone though. I use my 2nd machine with Kontakt regularly and it works quite well especially when I need to use 2 different sustain pedal modes. I use the legato mode sustain pedal setup on my main machine and then use the normal sustain mode for GPO piano, celeste and harp on my 2nd machine. This gets around the problem that Kontakt has of only being able to use on pedal mode on a machine.

> So shall we wait and hold of on the $59 bucks or put the
    > bucks to the FXTeleport

You\'ll still need FXT to use with the wrapper

Bill,

Let\'s look at the broad picture.

If and when Giga comes out with a VST wrapper then the FX Teleport would be more benefical in that there would be:

No More Midi Cables
    One Sound Card Needed (freeing up an optical input on the main sound board - useful for a keyboard work station having internal sounds - Ex Motif 8))
    Slave machine (Giga) would remain as #2
    Sonar 3.0, Kontakt v1.5x Machine would remain as the Master Machine #1
    Of course others can be added for the $199 price tag.

MidioverLan would not benefit by a new version of Giga having the VST wrapper if this is scheduled.
    The Giga machine can still use the Giga libraires in standalone if this is an option for Giga v3.0.
    For 2 machines, 2 sound cards still needed
    No Midi Cables of course.
    Forces a Keyboard work station with internal sounds to use the analog outputs not having an optical input to find (ex: Echo Layla)

My Concern:

Since Midi Data and especially Audio (wav) is traveling thru the same cable, can the demand of Audio at the 44.4khz sampled rate (24 bit depth) have an effect on latency putting CPU pressure on the Master machine.

Lots of issues to consider..

Alan Russell

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Alan,

Here\'s my take: Put a sound card in both machines, and use MIDIoverLAN.

You\'ll be waiting a while for the GigaTeleport (not sure how long, but it\'s not today). At that point, though, if you want to Teleport many streams, you\'re going to need GigaBit networking hardware, rather than the 100 megabit stuff. A few streams works fine with 100 mbit.

I always put a sound card in every machine. Your needs may vary, but I find it is never wasted money. I am forever finding myself using it in some form or fashion...needing to record something from one machine to another, wanting to tie one machine up with a 4-hour video render, wanting to burn CDs on one machine and work on another...

That\'s my take.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Bruce,

>>>At that point, though, if you want to Teleport many streams, you\'re going to need GigaBit networking hardware<<<<

Thanks Bruce for your thoughts..My new Intel Mother Board has GigaLan built onto it but my Giga machine as a 100 MBIT Ethernet card so here I am behind..

I can always use my Giga Studio v2.54 wheyher it goes to VST wrappers or not. The samples still remain the same-right?

Maybe, Musiclab will give FZ-Teleport a tumble here as time goes on and consider some auido going thru the cables..whi knows?

Finally, I\'ll go with the Midioverlan which sounds fine and you don\'t have to pay the extra dollars to max out the machines as you do with FX-Teleport.

BTW, I found a link where I can get 10% off the product..

Thanks again..

Alan Russell

At last someone who knows about MidiOverLan.
    Please help as I have had nothing but trouble with this program
    1.Some PCs will not install the program
    2.Some PCs will not allow me to un-install it in order to try to re-install it
    3.Working machines “Hang” after a short time
    4.Two machines allow me to install but will not permit setup
    All 5 Giga PCs are running Win 98se, all have Frontier Design sound cards and are set up identically. I use Unitor to connect MIDI to remaining Gigas.

Please help.

Compliments of the season to everyone.

Go Back to forum