• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kodaly: Dances of Galanta (Take 3)

Kodaly: Dances of Galanta (Take 3)

Dear friends,

it is fantastic to see such a wide range of talent here! I have been away from the forum for a while, but began to catch up on a few of the recent music recordings that are here presented.
    In the meantime I have worked on some of my previous recordings, and yesterday I did complete a re-recording of Zoltan Kodaly's "Dances of Galanta".

In the last version (about 2 years ago) I had experimented with using legato, but this time I did abandon most of the legato (controller #64) for the string sections, because in my opinion it takes away some of the edge: once #64 is used, the velocity of the note is abandoned (is set to a mid-velocity), and this makes the music sound somewhat bland. I left the #64 for woodwind solo instruments, because there it does a good job in creating a smooth transition between consecutive notes.

I hope you enjoy this new recording!

--- I found out that on LOUDR https://loudr.fm/ one can publish copyright-protected "cover" songs, because this site takes care of the mechanical license. I will explore this more and will attempt to officially publish this recording.

Re: Kodaly: Dances of Galanta (Take 3)

--- new link - there was a problem with the previous version. Dropbox does not like variable bitrate MP3s... here is one with 160 bps:

--- what is wrong with this forum software? Cannot edit previous posting...

Canada,winter Mexico

I just love your work, and this piece is special. I love this version more than the earlier. I hope you will not be offended if I say that if I would have your talent and skill, I would have made this piece the same, and this is from a Hungarian.
    Not much else I can say, I was conducting midway through...
    Great, great.

Thank you very much, Ted! I am glad that you like this recording - and I particularly do appreciate your knowledge and insight from the viewpoint of a Hungarian!
    There could still be done something about the sound which is sometimes a bit too metallic. For this recording I was still using the old KS strings in GPO5, which were also already in GPO4. GPO5 has a newer set of KS strings, but those are not compatible to the older KS set - the sound is much quieter (smoother, sounds better), but they have a different response to velocity and expression. Also some things are missing (no trills), so one cannot simply swap the old ones with the new ones, but has to restructure the whole recording. There are many more additional string samples in GPO5, and I am exploring them currently. They are surely superior to the older GPO4 string sounds. But I will only be able to use them when I start a new recording from scratch.

I am currently working on another Kodaly music where I will apply them: Hary Janos Suite.

This recording is now officially out in the public - will be on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify. Therefore I took it off Dropbox, so as not to violate licensing. Since the music is still under copyright, I am only allowed to publish it with the proper mechanical license. Publishing it through LOUDR.fm covers this license.

Go Back to forum