• Register
  • Help

Topic: Drums individual volume level

Share/Bookmark

Drums individual volume level

How do you balance or mix individual drum samples in a gig file?
    Can this be done in \"Midi Control surface\"?
    I wish to hear, and adjust volumes and save the gig as a default drum kit.
    Thanx for any comment
    Bryan H

Re: Drums individual volume level

Hey Bryan

The midi surface is more for control of the whole instrument, rather than individual sounds/regions, although it is possible.

1. Load the instrument into the editor,
    2. Select a region which has the sound you want volume control over.
    3. Click on the Mix/Layer tab in the case properties are (bottom right)
    4. Where it says \'Attn Control\' click on the drop down buttin and you will see list of sontroller options. Pick one and make a note of which cc it is and which region it\'s affecting. Watch out for CCs which are already assigned to things like vibrato or deimension switches.
    5. Do this for all the drums you want individual control of.
    6. Save the instrument
    7. Go back to the Midi control surface of the channel your instrument is in.
    8. At the bottom of the channel slider there should be a name (like mod) and a green arrow next to it. To set the slider to a particular CC#/sound click the arrow and choose the corresponding cc.
    9. Do this for the rest of you sounds.

If you simply want to adjust the mix once and then leave it there\'s another way.
    1. Get the instrument up in the editor
    2. Select a region
    3. Go to the mix/layer tab
    4. Use the Attenuation amount control in the top left of the tab.
    5. Continue for the rest of the instruments.
    6. Save

Thanks Chadwick,
    Re your second senario, Is it possible to hear / (play) the sample in the editor as the volume is adjusted?
    regards
    Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:
    Hey Bryan

The midi surface is more for control of the whole instrument, rather than individual sounds/regions, although it is possible.

1. Load the instrument into the editor,
    2. Select a region which has the sound you want volume control over.
    3. Click on the Mix/Layer tab in the case properties are (bottom right)
    4. Where it says \'Attn Control\' click on the drop down buttin and you will see list of sontroller options. Pick one and make a note of which cc it is and which region it\'s affecting. Watch out for CCs which are already assigned to things like vibrato or deimension switches.
    5. Do this for all the drums you want individual control of.
    6. Save the instrument
    7. Go back to the Midi control surface of the channel your instrument is in.
    8. At the bottom of the channel slider there should be a name (like mod) and a green arrow next to it. To set the slider to a particular CC#/sound click the arrow and choose the corresponding cc.
    9. Do this for the rest of you sounds.

If you simply want to adjust the mix once and then leave it there\'s another way.
    1. Get the instrument up in the editor
    2. Select a region
    3. Go to the mix/layer tab
    4. Use the Attenuation amount control in the top left of the tab.
    5. Continue for the rest of the instruments.
    6. Save
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you can hear the changes you make to the mix almost immediately you make them.

You just have to remember two things:

1. Use the Apply Mix/Layer button every time you want to hear your change

2. If you have a multi layered region (multiple velocities or whatever), either you must select ALL the layers manually, or check the \'Entire region\' box which is next to the \'Apply Mix/Layer\' button.
    Otherwise you\'ll only be changing the currently selected layer.

I used to put the whole kit on \"channel 10\" but I found I needed more control of my dynamics and eq. I\'m getting fantastic results by dedicating specific channels for bass drum,snare,toms,cymbals. That way I can adjust each channel seperately. Plus when it comes time for the final mix down it\'s a breeze to capture each one as it\'s own audio track where I can add compression for the bass drum and snare effortlessly.

Go Back to forum