• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kodaly: Hary Janos Suite. I.Prelude. The Fairy Tale Begins

Share/Bookmark

Kodaly: Hary Janos Suite. I.Prelude. The Fairy Tale Begins

Dear friends,

here is another Hungarian music: Zoltan Kodaly's "Hary Janos Suite". This suite has 6 movements. I know this music since 1980 and have always enjoyed it very much.

The 2nd movement was one of my first attempts at MIDI rendition - done in 1995. Then in 1996 I completed the first movement in MIDI. The other 4 movements I had not yet worked on.

I took now this MIDI version from 1996 and revised it with GPO5. Here I used for the first time extensively the new string section KS samples. They sound very smooth and expressive, but they do not have an attack that can be controlled linearly throughout a large range. The samples either have a very slow attack or a very harsh attack. I would like to be able to cover also the middle range, with the same long bow sample but with varying attack. The fast attack samples seem to have alternating up- and down-bows, but I was not able to control those explicitly. There are cases where two down bows need to follow each other - and it seemed not possible to create this effect. So I had to bring in back the old GPO4-style KS string sections, in addition to the new KS section strings from GPO5.

In any case, here is the result: The first movement of the Hary Janos Suite - "Prelude. The Fairy Tale Begins":

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6iuj3ojho...60730.mp3?dl=0

I hope you enjoy this rendition!

Re: Kodaly: Hary Janos Suite. I.Prelude. The Fairy Tale Begins

Amazing Reinhold. As I said before, you should consider yourself as an honorary Hungarian. Right after I listened to your version (twice) I listened for two actual performances and found that your interpretation was much better than one of the performances I found, the other, well, it was better than yours, because the real instruments did sound better, naturally. I always loved the third (or forth) movement of the defeated Napoleon theme, but I still think that Kodaly's best ever is The Dances of Galanta, ( not counting his choral works, which are his best venue).
    Thanks for posting it.
    On an other subject, last night I picked a performance of Bruckner 4th ( Munchen with Celibidache) and was amazed of his conducting, the best version I ever heard.
    Have a nice weekend...

Ted

Very well done, Reinhold.
    Once again, lectures from virtual conductors can be better than actual podium performance when sensitivity and craftmanship join their forces.

@Ted
    +1 for Celibidache (great on Brahms too).
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thank you very much, Ted!
    I am curious which were the two performances you compared mine to. I have tried not to listen to any performance recently, so that I could completely be unbiased in my approach. Of course this has the danger of me going off a bit in a direction of a less natural sound...
    I think the very first time I heard this music was with Antal Dorati as conductor.

I have now slightly revised this first movement:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh5dzlta5o...60bps.mp3?dl=0

Also I have completed a first draft of the 2nd movement. The other four movements are much longer and will take a while for me to complete.

I also appreciate very much "Variations on a Folk Song The Peacock". This is on my to-do list.

Bruckner #4 is a great work, and Celebidache was a genius!

Thank you, Fabio!
    In my pursuit of creating good "renditions" I try to stay true to the score, putting in everything that I see there in terms of dynamic notations (tempo, volume, etc.). Of course it is still a matter of interpretation, for example how loud a forte should be of how quiet a pp. Here comes probably into play what I have heard myself, and naturally what I like.

One aspect of those renditions is that the individual instrument (groups) seem to be more prominent, where in a traditional recording there is more a "common sound" where these instruments merge into a general sound carpet. This "sound carpet" is of course nice, as it provides a more homogeneous listening experience. But having the individual instruments being heard more clearly adds to the understanding and appreciation of the musical structure of a composition.

Having the individual instruments being heard more clearly adds to the understanding and appreciation of the musical structure of a composition
    I totally agree with you.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Go Back to forum