• Register
  • Help

Topic: Soundcard Help

Soundcard Help

I was wondering if anyone would be able to let me know what sound card would be optimal for my setup.

P4 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM Cubase SX 2.0...I plan on using a combination of GigaStudio libraries (GOS, SAM) with EWQLSO and some of Spectrasonics stuff.

I\'ve heard good things about the Delta 1010, Delta 1010LT, and audiophile 2496.

Any help is much appretitated!

Re: Soundcard Help

Well it\'d help if we knew more about what you wanted to do with the soundcard, do you need digital in out? How many tracks etc. The cards that you mentioned are good, I use both an M-Audio delta 1010 and an audiophile 2496, but the Echo cards are all good as well, depending on what you need to do, and how much budget you have.

I just installed MidioverLan from Musiclab.com
    I am using 2 computers: A Sonar computer with Kontakt v1.51 (Echo Layla-sound card) and a Giga Studio Computer with a Frontier PCI wave center card.
    I am using both ins and outs for both sound cards. It is necessary in this set up.
    Stay digital, it\'s the cleanest sound you\'ll get..

Alan Russell

Thanks for the input!

Eventually I will have to add on another computer. For now, though, I am having just one built.

What I want to do is to be able to render my compostions to audio and be able to burn them to disk.

Because I plan on using libs in both GS format and Kontakt, I am assuming that I may have to render tracks from one format (ie...say, my GS trax)to audio in Cubase, then do the same to my other format(s). Does this sound right?

Btw, I will be using a keyboard controller. Right now I\'m not exactly sure how many i/o I will be using as I\'m not as well-versed in midi setups as I would like to be...but, I\'m here to learn [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, as Alan pointed out its best to keep it all in the digital domain, which this setup ought to do adequately. Since the main thing that you probably need is an output for your speakers/monitors as well as MIDI input/output I\'d probably say that the audiophile 2496 would be fine, or even an SB Live with the KX drivers you\'ll see posts about elsewhere in this forum.
    If you do go for an audiophile make sure you do some research as some people have had problems. I haven\'t, but you may want to check your make and model against lists like this and the cubase.net forums to make sure.

Thanks Steve.

I will have to check out those forums (I\'m glad they exist).

Is the Delta 1010 \"better\" than the audiophile2496? I notice a price difference between the two. Also, are there huge differences between the Delta1010 and the 1010LT? Not being much of a \"techie\" myself, reading through the desciptions and features is sometimes a bit confusing.

Thanks again.

Well, there is a *lot* of difference between an audiophile and a delta 1010.
    Primarily the audiophile only has 1 analog in/out, where as the delta 1010 has 8 in/outs.
    Also, the delta 1010 has the 6 1/4 jacks and can accept balanced connections which the audiophile can\'t. This will mainly only matter if you go to record stuff from external sources.
    One thing that may matter is with the 8 outputs I believe you can play back 7.1 given the right software...at least that is what it says on their site I have never tried it.
    The delta 1010 has better dynmaic range than the 1010lt, but, you may want to see the specs for yourself at www.m-audio.com
    Go to the product details they should tell you what you need to know to make a choice. If you decide you like the delta 1010 you may also want to look at the echo layla 24. I believe it is pretty much the same thing, but from what I have read in forums has better driver support.

Go Back to forum