• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kodaly: Hary Janos Suite. II. Viennese Clock

Share/Bookmark

Kodaly: Hary Janos Suite. II. Viennese Clock

Dear friends,

this rendition is based on one of my oldest MIDI files - from January 1995. It turned out that the lack of strings in this movement was somewhat good for the sound of those early MIDI sound cards; I remember it did sound not too bad even in its raw MIDI style.

Now I did revamp this original MIDI file, using GPO5 as the sole sample library. I did now properly double and triple the instruments as required in the score.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdf2dvn96p...60bps.mp3?dl=0

Is amazing how Kodaly did emulate the sounds of a clock work with his simple orchestral instrumentation!

Re: Kodaly: Hary Janos Suite. II. Viennese Clock

Lovely. The first time the motive appears (0.09-0.26) you could eliminate legato. The subsequent times it comes up on the flute, it is just fine. The first occurrence should imitate: tick-tack, with sharp attacks, as the flute does later...
    Again, lovely!!!

Ted

Thank you very much, Ted, for this suggestion!

In the score there is actually no notation that these notes (in the beginning, and on the later sections) should be played staccato - but it is common practise to do so, because it just sounds better. I had made those later parts staccato, but for some reason had the horn parts in the beginning playing straight. Sounded then with these GPO5 samples like a legato. I assume that the sound card in 1995-1998 had a more succinct horn attack; that is why I had not corrected this.

I did now make those horn voices also staccato - sounds much better now and more consistent!

The revised version is here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qw6g1lbwxg...60bps.mp3?dl=0

Thank you, to me it is now now perfect! ( Was perfect before but now it is more perfect).

Ted

Delete, duplicated
    Last edited by tedvanya; 08-06-2016 at 09:00 PM. Reason: double message

This transported me back to the 1970's, when I lived in Pittsburgh, and listened fanatically to WQED FM. Those were the golden days of public radio, when it was 90% classical music. One of the regular daily shows (perhaps "Mid Morning") had this as its theme. It is indeed a bright and glittering piece. I never actually knew what the music was, but now thanks to you, Reinhold, I do!

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    This transported me back to the 1970's, when I lived in Pittsburgh, and listened fanatically to WQED FM. Those were the golden days of public radio, when it was 90% classical music. One of the regular daily shows (perhaps "Mid Morning") had this as its theme. It is indeed a bright and glittering piece. I never actually knew what the music was, but now thanks to you, Reinhold, I do!

Thank you, Michael!

The whole Hary Janos Suite suite has four more wonderful movements. Once I have more time, I will go into those. There are some technical difficulties; also need a Cimbalom sample, which is not included in the GPO5. So this will take a while until my recording of that suite is completed.

Go Back to forum