• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which Active Speakers?

Share/Bookmark

Which Active Speakers?

I’d like to buy new studio reference speakers. However I can not afford to but Mackie’s. In that point, I’d like to ask you, what is your suggestion about it. I’m thinking to buy M-Audio BX8 but if there is a better choice for that price, I want to know. Also is anybody says their experiences I’d be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Koray

Re: Which Active Speakers?

One option is to get a fine set of headphones. I went for the Senn HD280 Pros. Very nice. The similar Sonys also sound quite nice. Audio Technica also has reference cans, but I didn\'t care for them. All are available for about $100. And they\'re keepers. Maybe that will let you live with your existing speakers long enough to save for the Mackies.

You also could try E-bay to get those Mackies. That\'s what I did and it cost somewhere between 2/3 to 3/4 of what they would be new. (I think I paid $850 US for a pair.)

I\'ve heard the BX8\'s. They are good for the price, but there was a definite bump up in the upper mid range. I found the Mackies (HR824) much smoother and had better definition in the bass. To me, it was worth saving for the Mackies.

Rob

I also have a set of the Sennheiser HD280s. A great pair.

There are two problems with using a set of headphones as reference monitors: an exaggerated stereo separation and lack of interrelationship between the two channels. The sound from each speaker melds and changes the sound from the other, so having the two being completely separate, in their own space, prevents that interrelation. You really can\'t tell if the channels are out of phase using headphones.

That said, I have a pair of Tannoy Active Reveals I picked up from B&H for about $650. Wonderful reference monitors--I love \'em.
    O.

> \"There are two problems with using a set of headphones as reference monitors: an exaggerated stereo separation and lack of interrelationship between the two channels. The sound from each speaker melds and changes the sound from the other, so having the two being completely separate, in their own space, prevents that interrelation. You really can\'t tell if the channels are out of phase using headphones.\"

Precisely true! (And quite well written!)

My idea is to stick with your crummy monitors (you do have crummy ones don\'t you?), until you save up for a pair that you want as keepers.

And for $99 you can get keeper headphones today.

When I\'m doing a mix and my brain starts to hurt, I always try things through both the speakers and the cans to compare the two. It\'s a good sanity check. When it sounds good through both, then I\'m done. (Gads, that sounds too professional. I\'m just an obsessed hobbyist.)

BTW, I auditioned the Sony and Senn closed phones back to back. I found the Sonys to sound \"prettier\", and the Senns to sound more accurate. I bought the Senns for mixing. Had I been shopping for phones for general listening, I would have gotten the Sonys.

Go Back to forum