• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is 4 Gig enough?

Share/Bookmark

Is 4 Gig enough?

I recently set up my laptop to run Giga Studio and run out of ram [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] It only has 768MB ram.

I decided to buy (or build) a computer. I can [almost] buy another computer for the price of upgrading my laptop to 2 GB!

Is 4GB PC3200 enough to handle heafty orchestrations?

I know many people use multiple computers. What I don\'t know is how much ram they have on their machines.

This is what I plan to build:

Intel Pentium 4 HT 2.8GHz 800MHz FSB
    MSI Neo 2 FIS2R Intel 865PE Chipset HT Support
    (4X)1024MB PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR
    AGP Video
    (2X)80 GB 7200RPM Ultra ATA

Thanks in advance!

Re: Is 4 Gig enough?

Most programs will only use 2 GB of memory at this time. So your best off buying 512 MB chips. Plus they\'re much cheaper.

I\'ve got 1.5GB on my Giga machine. Some run 2GB and get slightly more samples loaded. Nothing above that seems to help.

If I\'ve got the theory straight, 2.5GB would be the ideal amount for GS3: the full 2GB for Giga and 512M for the OS. But that\'s only if GS3 is able to squeeze those last few bytes away from Windows. If GS3 doesn\'t improve RAM usage, then 2.0GB is as good as much as you can make use of.

hv

Depends on what OS you\'re running and what else you run with giga. Been seeing posts saying giga won\'t use more than 1.5gb itself with WinXP. It\'s not clear if they\'re talking sample caching or giga\'s program interface and other stuff, however. But if you run a sequencer with it, that would probably make use of more ram or at least not take any away from giga.

Howard

Giga 3 will only use 2 GB of memory with the OS. Kernel mode only has 2 GB of memory available. This is a limitation of Windows. Since Giga 3 has to share this space with the OS, 1.5 GB is what\'s left. So it won\'t help to have more than 2 GB in the machine for Giga.

i personally would prefer to get a board with a 875 chipset - this would offer additional support to raid (even combined serial and parallel ATA disks), which speeds up file access for GS significantly - at least that\'s what i\'ve noticed
    christian
    ps: for details see this page

Go Back to forum