• Register
  • Help

Topic: DMA settings for my Maxtor ATA hard drive?

Share/Bookmark

DMA settings for my Maxtor ATA hard drive?

Hi guys,

I have my Maxtor DiamondMax Plus Ultra ATA/133 intstalled into my Dell 4600 as my primary slave while my system drive acts as my Master. It used to also be on \"cable select\" instead of master and slave. The Utlra ATA/133 is 200 gigs so I know it\'s big enough and it\'s ulta fast. My interface is IDE. I\'m using Windows XP and I want to enable DMA settings for this Maxtor drive but when I try to go into \"System\" and into \"Device Manager\" and so forth, if says \"DMA use as available. And when I go into the Maxtor program, it says DMA none. Why is this? I need it to work because I keep getting pops and clicks when I play my samples from Giga Studio 160 which is in this PC. I mainly need to know how to enable my DMA settings for this drive.

Please help if any of you have a similar drive or this problem!?

Thanks!!!! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: DMA settings for my Maxtor ATA hard drive?

Julia, are you sure you are using a proper 80 pin IDE cable?

It should be blue on one end.

Otherwise, XP should automatically detect that you have UDMA drives.

Also, depending on your motherboard you should check that it is plugged into the proper ATA controller. Some boards have a couple of IDE ports for Ultra-fast DMA and then a couple of standard IDE channels.

Lastly, make sure that the samples drive is set as master on its own cable and it is not slaved through anything else.

thanks! That helped. I ended up installing the Ultra ATA/133 card that came with my Maxtor drive and I set both my giga drive and system drives as the master. Giga is FINALLY working! No more cracks and pops! I have DMA settings now. HOWEVER, now my Dell 4600 Pentium 4 PC consistently freezes after about 15 minutes (whether I\'m in giga studio or not)! (I use windows XP.) I though my PC might not know how to properly go to sleep but I checked the settings for this and they were all set to none or never. What do you think may be causing this? I removed my modem and a ton of useless stuff that could be problematic. Any ideas? I have no idea where to start...

Thanks!

Originally posted by Julia Newmann:
    I have DMA settings now. HOWEVER, now my Dell 4600 Pentium 4 PC consistently freezes after about 15 minutes (whether I\'m in giga studio or not)! (I use windows XP.)
    Thanks!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Watch out. This could be due to a failing power supply. It happened to me and when the power supply failed, it blew my motherboard and my soundcard.

Go Back to forum