• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Macintosh vc. PC

Macintosh vc. PC

Wich platform is better for audio?
    In the last years I have worked with both, and they looked just the same for me:

They do the same things.
    They share almost the same softwares.
    Their performance depend on how much you are willing to spend.
    Their peripherals are identical.

But a Macintosh costs almost three times more than a PC with the same performance, so that I can´t see a reason to buy one these days. But at the same time I see that there is a large community of mac-maniacs around. Why is that?

Please, let me hear your oppinions about it.

Re: Macintosh vc. PC

Here we go, here we go, here we go......

I think the reason that people get into these camps is:

- You are familiar with one of the platforms and it works. Why risk change? Why start learning an OS from scratch?

- You have an investment in software (and the learning-curve of the software). Why switch and have to buy that software from scratch?

- For Mac people - PCs are chaotic. Too many vendors/choices. Too many horror stories (due to all the vendors/choices). Bill Gates wears a red suit with a pointy tail.

- For PC people - the Mac is too darn expensive. It\'s not as open to upgrades and customization. Steve Jobs wears jeans and mock turtlenecks. (Okay, maybe not the last one.)

What I don\'t get is all of the bashing. It\'s like people have to justify their decisions by tearing down the other side.

I decided to go the PC route about ten years ago. I\'ve gone through many axe heads and handles (but I have the same axe!). It\'s like conservation of momentum.

But I\'d still love to have a new Mac with Logic on board. I just don\'t want to have to spend the $$$ it would take to get it.

Let\'s break it down

Macintosh (using G5 for example)

1. All software and hardware is gauranteed to work correctly.
    2. All hardware is Macintosh, therefore charging more, like a monopoly of itself.
    3. According to Computer Music Magazine, the G5 was able to run over 100 more plugins simultaneously than a highend homebuilt or company PC. (comparing with P4 HT)

The PC (IBM Compatible)

1. Cheaper to build or buy from company, yet maintaining high quality parts.
    2. More after-market software and hardware available to public. Dispersed pricing, cheaper.
    3. Still faster than hell, regardless of the G5. The Athlon 64 and Pentium 4 Extreme beat the G5 in speed tests.

Hope that helps a bit. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Winsted, CT

> All software and hardware is gauranteed to work correctly

At one time that was true. Now it\'s not true at all.

Originally posted by Bill:
    > All software and hardware is gauranteed to work correctly

At one time that was true. Now it\'s not true at all.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">HAHAHA. Well, you are correct in my opinion. I worked on a few G4\'s that were a friggin nightmare, not to say that all Macs are bad, but man! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

My sister-in-law bought one of the early iMacs and it was plagued from day one. Flakey hard drive I think. Plus, the problem was intermittent, she didn\'t know much about computers, and had little free time to battle with customer service. I think it ended up as a closet dust collector.

Mac stories are rarely that bad. But even for Apple, perfection is a myth.

Her story wouldn\'t keep me from getting a Mac though. I\'d keep pounding my head on the dang thing until I got it to work. That\'s what I do on PCs anyway!

A thread called \"Mac vs. PC\" and only seven (now eight) posts?!

What\'s the world coming to?

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    A thread called \"Mac vs. PC\" and only seven (now eight) posts?!

What\'s the world coming to?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hahahahahaha!
    You took the words from my mouth!

For one, I\'m trying to figure out how to start a new thread but the way this infopop BBS is set up I\'m too dumb to find the \"New\" subject line.

2: I\'m desparately trying to figure out how to get my mac to use the PC as the sampler (I\'ve finally gotten a GS approved card in the PC and have the midi cables in the interface.

I\'m using Logic 6 (on the mac) and Giga 160 v2.5 on the PC.

Private message me or respond to this.

Go Back to forum