• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Finale

Share/Bookmark

New Finale

Just installed the new edition to Finale. Can't wait to see if all the changes work.

Tom

Re: New Finale

Well, Tom, I can tell you I am having, unfortunately, VST issues. As in, there aren't any VSTs at all. No Garritan. No EastWest libraries. No Kontakt. Nothing. When I pull up the Score Manager all of the plugins are missing. All I get is SmartMusic. Strange. I really haven't had time to get really into as yet. But there is one thing I noticed. Know how you have to the MakeMusic folder (Users/Gary/AppData/Roaming/MakeMusic)? There isn't any VST folder at all, like there were in my older versions of Finale, including 2014.5. I tried copying the VST folder into the newer version, but it's still not there.

I will try to get in touch with support, but it sure seems strange. In all my upgrades, I've never had this happen before.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Mine installed with absolutely no problems and everything is there. Is it possible that your VST and other material is in a folder other than the routine installations provided by Finale? Mine even found and loaded Garritan Instruments for Finale, Smart Music, Play for EW Choirs, Aria, Aria Multi and sforzando. That is all that is listed in devices under Score Manager. Now when I click on Aria or Aria Multi I get Classic Pipe Organs, COMB, Finale Default Banks, GPO, GPO5, Instant Orchestra, JABB and World Instruments. Literally everything is there.

BTW, what is the difference between Aria and Aria Multi?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    Well, Tom, I can tell you I am having, unfortunately, VST issues. As in, there aren't any VSTs at all. No Garritan. No EastWest libraries. No Kontakt. Nothing. When I pull up the Score Manager all of the plugins are missing. All I get is SmartMusic. Strange. I really haven't had time to get really into as yet. But there is one thing I noticed. Know how you have to the MakeMusic folder (Users/Gary/AppData/Roaming/MakeMusic)? There isn't any VST folder at all, like there were in my older versions of Finale, including 2014.5. I tried copying the VST folder into the newer version, but it's still not there.

I will try to get in touch with support, but it sure seems strange. In all my upgrades, I've never had this happen before.

Gary

Well, I figured it out, Tom, but it took some putzing around. As I told you, the VST folder was missing altogether in the new Finale file, so I copied that whole folder into the new Finale folder, but that didn't work. Then checked under Device Setup/Manage VST Plug-in Directory. It showed C:\. No indication of it going into the VST Folder. So I hit the add button and added the VST support in the directory. Still nothing. Then I realized I still had C:\, so I deleted that. I finally got the EastWest VSTs to work, but no Garritan. That's when I realized that Finale only works on 64-bit. I checked my VST folder and there were no Aria Player 64-bit VSTs. So I found where they were and copied that into the folder and, yep, everything is now working!

But what a crazy way to run a railroad!

Gary

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Glad to hear you two are up and running. I am still on Finale 2014.5 (or whatever the latest update is called). After you have worked with the new Finale (I think the name is lame) could you give us a report of what you think of it. And do you think it is worth the upgrade price? I see nothing in its description that WOWs me. $149 is a good chunk of change that I am not willing to part with for just a new version of the same old thing.

It is interesting that this seem to come out of the blue. There were no pre-announcements or fanfare heralding a new and improved Finale.

Thanks
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I will say just this one thing, Rich. I can now use "all" of my EastWest VSTs (which use 64-bit) without Finale telling me I'm running out of memory. That and the playback is much better, with the dropouts I've had before. I still have more to explore, so I will get back to you on how it's doing.

Until the next update...

Gary

Have you noticed any clicks showing up during playback? Sometimes I get one and other times several in a measure - I have never had this happen in Finale before.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    I will say just this one thing, Rich. I can now use "all" of my EastWest VSTs (which use 64-bit) without Finale telling me I'm running out of memory. That and the playback is much better, with the dropouts I've had before. I still have more to explore, so I will get back to you on how it's doing.

Until the next update...

Gary

Well. I just discovered that the clicking in the Finale25 audio was the result of a tape player attached via USB to the same computer. Still haven't quite figured how the two were interacting, but the removal of the tape deck eliminated all of the clicking.

So I can now confidently return to my original opinion that this version of Finale is the easiest to install (assuming no personal variations were made when installing the original) and has several improvements well worth the $149.00 upgrade.

Tom

Go Back to forum