• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Would this setup work?

Would this setup work?

I\'m very new when it comes to PC building, though I\'ve learning as much as I can about the process within the past few months. Right now I have a parts list that I\'m pretty happy with, but since there seem to be a lots of collective PC building experience here I wanted to make sure I\'m not buying any parts that are incompatable; parts that will be insufficient for audio purposes, etc.

Here\'s what I\'ve picked out so far:

Motherboard: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

Hard disks: WD Raptor 36.7GB (as main disk)
    ...and a SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM SATA for the second drive.

CPU: P4, 2.8 GHz, 800 FSB

Memory: Kingston 1GB Kit 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR400X64C3AK2/1G

Memory heatsink: Thermaltake DDR&SDR

Video Card: ASUS GeForce2 MX400 Video Card

Power Supply: Fortron - 300W Switching Power Supply

CD-RW/DVD ROM: MSI Black 48X24X48X16 Combo Drive

Zalman NP(Noise Prevention)Heatpipe HDD Cooler (for the WD Raptor)

Case: Cooler Master Wave Master Black (this may be going overboard, but I\'m pretty much sold on this one.)

The sound card is a Terratec EWX24/96, which I\'ve already purchased.

$1,500 is pretty much the most I\'m going to possibly be able to pay at this point, and all of the above parts plus the OS, monitor, keyboard, etc. bring me pretty close to that limit. Some of the parts are more than I\'m likely to need anytime soon (like the HD capacity), but I\'d rather spend more now and not have to constantly upgrade than vice versa. But at any rate, this will all be replacing an 800MHz Celeron, so anything I buy will be a huge improvement;-)

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Re: Would this setup work?

Alex, I can\'t speak for the Terratec card as I don\'t own one. Assuming all else is ok, the only suggestion I would make is to give yourself a little more headroom with the power supply. Go for a 400W+ if you can.

- Keith

Pretty solid choices [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Some suggestions:
    I love Antec TruePower PS\'s (ok, I am a true geek and like the Antec TrueBlue versions with the nifty blue LED\'s on the fans- hehehe! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).
    TruePower 480 is just plain sweet. VERY quiet, only real noise is the air moving. For the ultimate, TrueControl 550 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Why the hefty vid card? Going for use for other than Giga or audio/midi (ie, gaming)? Alternately, I would suggest the ATI 9200se or 9600se fanless 128m dual vid, unless true dual DVI out is a must; both of those come with dual vid, in the form of one analog, one DVI. I have played with the 64M version of the 9200se fanless as well, and even it is up to task. Video card fans are notorious for being high-speed, short diameter, high pitch little bastards.

For quiet operation, Zalman is my choice for a CPU fan.

For RAM, I like the Kingston Hyper-X stuff. Comes with heat spreader on \'em, and even pushed a little past \"normal\" conditions, holds up very well. I currently use Kingston Hyper-X PC3500 CL2 512M sticks. If hardcore Giag use is going to come into play, I would definitely try to budget in for four sticks, 2G total. No extra heat sink/cooling needed with these puppies! (oh- I do PC3500, even tho PC3200 is perfectly fine. Just like the added \"headroom,\" whether it is to soothe my imagination, or actually does provide benefit [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

If you can budget it in: Lite On DVD +/- R/RW would do quite nicely, and will look nice in the black tower [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Throw a couple Vantec, Papst, or other adjustable speed, low-noise case fans (two should be plenty), and cooling is covered. Prolly dont really need the cooler for the raptor, but I haven\'t had enough time with them to tell. Not using any HD cooling, no problems as of yet. I prefer a full tower, as it affords a little more area for air flow.

Well, that\'s just my 3 cents [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .
    I absolutely love my ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I recently tried it with SATA drives, and an 800fsb chip over the previous Northwood 533 w? reg ATA IDE drives, and it is night and day to me- YMMV of course. With the 2.8G CPU, with the proper settings, boot time from power on to moving the cursor in Win XP should be so fast, it\'ll make your head spin. Yes, really that nice [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

i would also add another GB RAM and the 300W PSU is - hmm - a little bit weak .... better get 450-480W. sooner or later you will like to get another two raptors (73 GB or bigger if they will be available) for the raided serialATA ports

the 300W PSU is - hmm - a little bit weak .... better get 450-480W
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bear in mind that a higher power supply is a better one due to 2 reasons:
    a) Quality which leds to stable power supplying
    b) working loading of the supply
    The latter is especially nice to know since many people do not realize that a power supply working on a load of e.g. 50% could be instable while working on 80% load they are fine.

Use the developer information of the CPU manufacturer to get the gripe on it. They are doing power supply calculators.

a power supply working on a load of e.g. 50% could be instable while working on 80% load they are fine
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">this was meant the other way around, wasn\'t it?

That\'s the point - NO it wasn\'t!

Once again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Link for Intel Excel Sheet as a base of calculation:

German article for overdimensioned (?) power supplies:

Thanks for the advice, everyone. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I guess if I\'m gonna be spending this much on a new PC, paying an extra 10 or 15 bucks for a more powerful PSU shouldn\'t really be a problem. I doubt I\'m going to be able to find a way to add another GB of RAM, though, since that will probably up the price by more than I can really go to right now. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

markus, a rough estimation for the mentioned configuration brings me to about 350W (the online tool you mentioned gets more or less the same numbers, even if it can not consider the 512MB PC3200 modules) - so 300W would be definately too weak. believe me - i have a bunch of this type of motherboards in various configurations

Go Back to forum