• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gustav Mahler: Symphony #3, 5th movement: "Es sungen drei Engel"

Share/Bookmark

Gustav Mahler: Symphony #3, 5th movement: "Es sungen drei Engel"

Dear friends,

here is another recording / rendition of a movement from a symphony by Gustav Mahler: from his 3rd symphony the 5th movement. This has a boy choir and a female choir, singing "bimm bamm" (imitating bells) and the song "Es sungen drei Engel".

Difficult to reproduce the human voices with voice samples - a big challenge, and I am not very satisfied with the result. Well, this is then just an experimental "electronic" version of this movement.

Despite the very quiet and thin instrumentation, I needed 42 individual MIDI tracks for this rendition. This time I did not make any compromises and used 4 flutes, 3 bassons, 4 horns etc, everything that was required in the score.

Here is the file:
    https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...gen-drei-engel

Re: Gustav Mahler: Symphony #3, 5th movement: "Es sungen drei Engel"

The instrumentation sounds pretty good, just a thought about the mix, in that the vocals almost sound drowned out by the winds (and the strings to a slight degree as well). Granted, you really can't generate a whole lot of power with these vocal samples, so not sure if I have a good solution for this.
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    The instrumentation sounds pretty good, just a thought about the mix, in that the vocals almost sound drowned out by the winds (and the strings to a slight degree as well). Granted, you really can't generate a whole lot of power with these vocal samples, so not sure if I have a good solution for this.

Thank you very much for listening and commenting, Matt!

Yes, the winds are a bit strong, and I may need to reduce them.
    However, in the score there seems to be an indication that Mahler wanted this: the woodwinds are in full force: 4 flutes, 3 oboes, 4 clarinets, 4 bassoons, and often indicated as ff, vs the choir only max in f.
    Strings are supposed to play a very minor role in this movement: only bass, celli and violas are there; no violins at all. And these remaining strings have mostly minor rhythmic tasks, and are in most cases denoted as pp, just to give some texture. So it seems to me that Mahler intended to have a more wind-based balance.

You might have a look at the score here (from page 192 onwards):
    http://ks.imslp.info/files/imglnks/u..._105_-_end.pdf

But I will have another go at the balance, because I am aware that I tend to make the woodwinds a bit too loud. Not much that I can do about the human choir voices. Since these are samples, I did not want to over-emphasize them so as not to attract too much attention to some of the weaknesses there. The attack is difficult to set appropriately, and some of the sustain may sound weird when played to loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    Thank you very much for listening and commenting, Matt!

Yes, the winds are a bit strong, and I may need to reduce them.
    However, in the score there seems to be an indication that Mahler wanted this: the woodwinds are in full force: 4 flutes, 3 oboes, 4 clarinets, 4 bassoons, and often indicated as ff, vs the choir only max in f.
    Strings are supposed to play a very minor role in this movement: only bass, celli and violas are there; no violins at all. And these remaining strings have mostly minor rhythmic tasks, and are in most cases denoted as pp, just to give some texture. So it seems to me that Mahler intended to have a more wind-based balance.

You might have a look at the score here (from page 192 onwards):
    http://ks.imslp.info/files/imglnks/u..._105_-_end.pdf

But I will have another go at the balance, because I am aware that I tend to make the woodwinds a bit too loud. Not much that I can do about the human choir voices. Since these are samples, I did not want to over-emphasize them so as not to attract too much attention to some of the weaknesses there. The attack is difficult to set appropriately, and some of the sustain may sound weird when played to loudly.
    Yeah, I don't have any ideas about what you could change at all with the current voices, since you're right that if you start boosting them, they'll probably start sounding out of place, even though a real choir would fit right in at that volume.

As for the strings, for the majority of the time they seemed to fit pretty well in the winds-focused piece. There was just the odd time here and there where it felt like they were a tad bit too weak.
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum