• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Pentador Quartet

Share/Bookmark

New Pentador Quartet

This is a revised version of a string quartet composed about 12 years ago. Score is not yet available, but there is an mp3 on Box. Length is about 19 minutes. When I am a little more confident in bowing marks, the score will be finished. Meanwhile, any comments welcome.

Richard

New Pentador String Quartet

Re: New Pentador Quartet

Richard,

The vast majority of the pieces of music we all post fit quietly into the pleasant realm of being nice or even brilliant.

Every so often a few present for our listening pleasure a true work of art. You just raised the room standards another notch. The subtle rhythm and tonal nuances in your Pentador Quartet soar far beyond the point where the human mind can merely listen. It requires, gasp, that the listener think.

Quite wonderful, Richard.

Tom

Well, thank you so much, Tom. I confess to being ecstatic about your comments, because I truly thought the work was pretty good, but was, as always, apprehensive about how it would be received. l

As you must know there was a lot of work in composing this, a labor right to the very end but I thought it was worth the effort. Now, the agonizing part for me, the bowing must be entered. Then I shall make some effort to get it performed. Perhaps one of the members of the AGO will be acquainted with some string players.

Richard

Richard,

My experience has been that bowing notation needs can vary vastly among orchestras. Some insist that virtually every note (or at least phrase) be carefully detailed. One orchestra told me not to bother with it; "That's what we pay the concertmeister for." As you know, regardless of what the composer dictates, the concertmeister can over ride if he feels it can be done a better way. And he may well consider other elements such as how the bowing appears to the audience for adding visual drama to the music.

On the other hand, publishers of music for school orchestras absolutely insist on detailed bowing. As a former high school and college teacher I can tell you that I usually ignored what was printed and selected bowing that best fitted the abilities of my students.

Tom

Good! I will use minimal bowing marks, which is what I had tentatively decided on. That is about what organists would do regarding registration, and what I did when playing brass.

Richard

Monumental work , Richard. Interesting contrast with the use of pedal tones in the high strings, against busy lower strings. You pulled that off very effectively. Usually it's the other way around.

As for bowing, I'm with you, I just try to do some basic indications of what I hope the music to sound like. I often get confused by the direction of the bow. In general, I use Piston's Orchestration heavily, trying to stick as much as possible to his remarks on bowing, knowing that the performers or conductor will change it. (Of course my music has never actually been performed, so I don't worry too much about it).

I look at the list of postings I answered and feel ashamed that I did not respond to your work.
    I claim, that my musical background stands absolutely without understanding your work. It is because of this that I keep my mouth shut, how can I comment on something which is so foreign to me?
    I can sense that you are a tolerant person, so I hope you'll forgive me . I just did not wanted you to think that besides being a hapless romantic, I am ignoring your work. When ever you post, I listen and hope that one day maybe the 25c will fall in and I'll understand your music.
    Wishing you a happy and productive year

Ted

Go Back to forum