• Register
  • Help

Topic: "The Shrine" - atmospheric piece for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

"The Shrine" - atmospheric piece for orchestra

Greetings all! I hope you are doing well.

I would be interested in any honest reactions to this work.

On a visit to Indianapolis, IN, I had the opportunity to sit in the shrine room of the War Memorial. The video here really doesn't give a good impression of the unique experience of being in that room, from its incredible dimensions to the soft colored lighting and total silence (if you're there by yourself, as I was). I composed this music to try and give a better idea of that experience.

Is this just dull, boring and predictable, or have I managed in some way to capture the feelings of the moment?

Scored for violins, violas, piccolo, oboe and piano.

__________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: "The Shrine" - atmospheric piece for orchestra

Yes. You did capture the moment. No. It is not boring but uplifting. My personal feelings are different than yours, I am a dedicated pacifist, because I experienced the war. The mood you made for me is the deep sorrow for all who died, irregardless of nationality, from ancient times to present deaths and suffering justified on both sides. The result is loss.
    Great piece, I will play it some more. Congratulation

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Yes. You did capture the moment. No. It is not boring but uplifting. My personal feelings are different than yours, I am a dedicated pacifist, because I experienced the war. The mood you made for me is the deep sorrow for all who died, irregardless of nationality, from ancient times to present deaths and suffering justified on both sides. The result is loss.
    Great piece, I will play it some more. Congratulation

Thanks so much, Ted, for the feedback. Even though my mood was not particularly of sorrow in that moment, I think it was inevitable that the emotion would frame the work. How could it be any other way.

Nice piece, Mister EnglishPerson except I found myself screaming at my computer monitor, "Blimey! Chordal progressions...chordal progressions! Enough of the tonic already! Go to the dominant for awhile and then somewhere else before returning to your original key center! Put some variety into it."

Lengthy, unchanging sustained notes can be grating to human ears...or, at least to mine. That's just the opinion of this old person. Someone else's mileage may vary.

The video was good. Did you do that too?

I hope that this message finds you in fine health.

Best Regards,

Larry Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by larryalex1 View Post
    Nice piece, Mister EnglishPerson except I found myself screaming at my computer monitor, "Blimey! Chordal progressions...chordal progressions! Enough of the tonic already! Go to the dominant for awhile and then somewhere else before returning to your original key center! Put some variety into it."

Lengthy, unchanging sustained notes can be grating to human ears...or, at least to mine. That's just the opinion of this old person. Someone else's mileage may vary.

The video was good. Did you do that too? Larry Alexander

Thanks for the honest feedback, Mr. Larry! I normally feel the same as you about lack of chord changes. Somehow it felt right. I'll have a little study of Gorecki Symphony 3 and see how he overcame the problem.

No, I didn't make the video - I just swiped it!

Thanks, I'm doing fairly well - better than before, for sure. Hope you are well, and best wishes.

My only wish is that it had been longer. Music is pleasing sound, to reduce to most fundamental terms. If it pleases, it's good music. Not only did this please me, I found I could not focus on the article I was reading on Real Clear Politics (probably a good thing). I had to just stop and listen, to the insistent wash of purple (I get synesthetic reactions to music), and the underlying meaning it conveyed.

Music comes in many varieties. Polyphonic, Homophonic, etc. As I said, if it please, it's good music. There can many notes of short duration, or few, of long duration. If it's well-done, it will please someone. This pleased me.

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    My only wish is that it had been longer. Music is pleasing sound, to reduce to most fundamental terms. If it pleases, it's good music. Not only did this please me, I found I could not focus on the article I was reading on Real Clear Politics (probably a good thing). I had to just stop and listen, to the insistent wash of purple (I get synesthetic reactions to music), and the underlying meaning it conveyed.

Music comes in many varieties. Polyphonic, Homophonic, etc. As I said, if it please, it's good music. There can many notes of short duration, or few, of long duration. If it's well-done, it will please someone. This pleased me.

Wow, that's amazing that you actually experienced purple! The very color of the lighting in that space. I'm so glad the impression I got being there was conveyed. Many thanks for your feedback.

Owen

Go Back to forum