• Register
  • Help

Topic: Three more days of August | new choral piece

Share/Bookmark

Three more days of August | new choral piece

Hello,
    Brindle here once again and today I'm bringing in a new choir piece, this time for women's SSAA ensemble. This is the first time I've written for female voices only and the song was sent to a competition as well (results of which are yet to be announced). Anyway, here you can find the English translation of the poem and a link to the song as well.

Three more days of August

This summery, fiery breeze
    softly slides over my shoulder..
    As easily as a leaf dropping from a tree -
    in an instant - my debt is relinquished.

As easily - since time has come.
    The flickering air, apples ripening soon.
    Then, as easily I'll know - it is time. The sun
    has ripened the afternoon.

A sensation - your scent. The same sound
    of you breathing in sleep. Nothing else. Then
    your thirsty, fiery mouth
    softly slides over my shoulder..

The poem was written by my mom long ago. And here you will be able to listen to the song demo with VSL Strings and Alicia's Keys piano. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6USJ8N5YZw

Brindle
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: Three more days of August | new choral piece

I am listening for your compositions for a long time. So, I almost know you personally. That allows me not to criticize your work, but to give you my thoughts as I listen.
    This is a beautiful poem your Mom wrote. Your music is beautiful also, and now I will reveal my square head character, I feel all through the piece your desire to be beautifully melodic, but after a short musical sentence, a quick change of the harmony you introduce, almost like you are afraid to be carrying on with traditional preservation of of the on going harmony. Because of my fore mentioned square-headedness, this works less for me, I am looking for peace and get a shock at the changes. You wrote it, and no one can say how it should have been done. I just thought I knew you more, and now I met a different, but beautiful person. Thanks for posting it, and hope you'll forgive this comment.

Ted

Re: Three more days of August | new choral piece

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I am listening for your compositions for a long time. So, I almost know you personally. That allows me not to criticize your work, but to give you my thoughts as I listen.
    This is a beautiful poem your Mom wrote. Your music is beautiful also, and now I will reveal my square head character, I feel all through the piece your desire to be beautifully melodic, but after a short musical sentence, a quick change of the harmony you introduce, almost like you are afraid to be carrying on with traditional preservation of of the on going harmony. Because of my fore mentioned square-headedness, this works less for me, I am looking for peace and get a shock at the changes. You wrote it, and no one can say how it should have been done. I just thought I knew you more, and now I met a different, but beautiful person. Thanks for posting it, and hope you'll forgive this comment.

Ted
    Hi and thanks, Ted! I just think it's a slightly different, new approach I've been having lately in my music, to be constantly looking for new colours and harmonies.. maybe I went a bit to crazy with these here But yeah, I understand what you're saying and since I'm "wandering" around that much musically, I've also been thinking whether I should sometimes just stick with a key for a bit longer and revel in it. But I'll see where all of this takes me
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Go Back to forum