• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gustav Mahler: Urlicht

Share/Bookmark

Gustav Mahler: Urlicht

Hello friends,

here is a revised version of my rendition of Gustav Mahler's "Urlicht" (Symphony #2, 4th movement). I slowed down the tempo, compared to my earlier recording from 2011, and used now the GPO5 samples. The voice is now the solo soprano. There are some shortcomings, as the sample is not homogeneous in all notes. But overall, I think, it is OK.

I hope you enjoy it, for a good start into the week!

http://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp....cht-rev-161010

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Re: Gustav Mahler: Urlicht

Bless you.
    I can listen to this only at a few time, because it makes me simply cry, because of the beauty of his genius.
    Of course, your rendering (conducting) and the soprano solo is not equal to to "real", but it is more personal, more intimate than you can find anywhere. Incredible tough, how close you did get, especially the brass and the oboe, but also the strings sounds great. It shows us, that with love, knowledge how good you can get GPO 5.
    Well, Reinhold, you made me cry, and that is the greatest compliment I can give you.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Bless you.
    I can listen to this only at a few time, because it makes me simply cry, because of the beauty of his genius.
    Of course, your rendering (conducting) and the soprano solo is not equal to to "real", but it is more personal, more intimate than you can find anywhere. Incredible tough, how close you did get, especially the brass and the oboe, but also the strings sounds great. It shows us, that with love, knowledge how good you can get GPO 5.
    Well, Reinhold, you made me cry, and that is the greatest compliment I can give you.

Ted
    Thank you, Ted, this is indeed the biggest compliment, and I feel very glad that you do enjoy this rendition of Mahler's music! I wish I had more time - I would try to create renditions of so many more music works, but unfortunately the day job needs to be done too...

Best wishes,
    Reinhold

I'm here again to declare that you are one of the finest Mahler conductors today.
    We must start a fundraising campaign to hire you a real orchestra.
    Though the rendering lacks some refinement, orchestration and conducting are A-class.
    Hope you will find more time for the finishing touches.
    Mit Untertänigkeit
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    I'm here again to declare that you are one of the finest Mahler conductors today.
    We must start a fundraising campaign to hire you a real orchestra.
    Though the rendering lacks some refinement, orchestration and conducting are A-class.
    Hope you will find more time for the finishing touches.
    Mit Untertänigkeit
    Thank you, Fabio - very flattering comment!
    But I do prefer to work with a computer orchestra. To get 120 highly skilled individuals to play as I indent it to be done is probably quite more difficult than drawing a few curves in the tempo editor or the expression plot. Even though, the final result with those 120 musicians may sound better...

But I am an engineer, and I prefer to command machines. I am glad that my musical intentions come across well, be it on the emotional side or on the analytical side. I will try to continue to express my own musical intentions with those limited means of MIDI and will try to make best use of it, to do justice to those great compositions!

Go Back to forum