• Register
  • Help

Topic: MSG32.exe eats 40% of my CPU

MSG32.exe eats 40% of my CPU

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post here and I\'ve been looking around but I haven\'t been able to find a solution to my problem.

I\'m not sure if this is a Sonar or Gigastudio related problem.

I am running win98 and I have Sonar 1.3 and Gigastudio160 installed.

As soon as I open up Sonar MSG32.exe starts taking up 36% - 49% of my CPU. I have no idea what the program is related to and I don\'t remember having the problem prior to installing Gigastudio. (Maybe I just wasn\'t using enough resources for me to notice it.)

If I try to end the process through a program called Taskinfo2002 (Shows all the processes running on my computer) then my computer will crash and I have to reboot.

It is causing serious problems because my computer is essentially running at half of it\'s capability.

I have completely changed hardware (essentially a new computer) and I still have the exact same problem.

Pentium 4 2.0 GHz 512KB L2 Cache
    Giga-Byte GA-8IHXP (Intel 850E Chipset)
    512MB Kingston RDRAM 1066MHz
    XFX GeForce4 Ti 4200 64MB
    SoundBlaster Audigy
    Midiman Omni Studio
    Netgear FA311 NIC
    Adaptec 19160 Ultra 160 SCSI Controller
    Seagate 18Gig Ultra160 SCSI Drive
    IBM Deskstar 80Gig ATA/100
    Windows 98
    Windows XP

Re: MSG32.exe eats 40% of my CPU

Where are you getting the usage info from? Don\'t rely on the one in Gigastudio, as it isn\'t calibrated for P4s and the display is totally incaccurate.

I use a program called Taskinfo2002, one of many nice utilities over at www.tucows.com

It shows me every process that windows task manager doesn\'t and gives me detailed information about them.

It just seems weird that msg32.exe will take up all those resources when Gigastudio isnt\' even running.

This did the exact same thing with my P3 system that had a VIA chipset. So it\'s not hardware related... At least I don\'t think so.

Yeah, you\'re right - it\'s weird. I was just referring to the Giga CPU readout, which is wonky on a P4. You should ask over on the Tascam BBS - they have three Tascam support guys moderating the forum, plus a few other brainiacs who know the machine from the inside out.

Thanks, I\'ll be sure to do that.

Appreciate the help! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Chapel Hill, NC

You could always disable MSG32 from loading on startup and have it scripted to run when you launch Giga. Works for me.

Note: to stop it again, you\'ll need kill.exe from the Resource Kit or pskill from sysinternals.com or similar.

Go Back to forum