• Register
  • Help

Topic: Words of Wisdom

Share/Bookmark

Words of Wisdom

«The final nail in the coffin was an article in the US magazine "Keyboard" describing how to inject space into chord pads by distributing notes over multiple octaves. […] The article was subtitled “Enhancing your chord progressions without resorting to EQ”, which suggested that it’s become commonplace for DAW users to reflexively opt for a sonic fix before considering the fundamental musical question of what notes are used in their chord pads

http://www.soundonsound.com/people/s...6-dave-stewart
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: Words of Wisdom

Hear, Hear!

More evidence that the younger generation is in the process of becoming cyborgs. Damn those alien body snatchers!
    michael diemer

Ah ah, Michael!

Well, to me it's not just a generational rant.

Grumpy old men like me are caught in the same mental trap more than once.

[STORY]
    Late spring a friend of mine, a trumpet player, sent me some music
    he wrote for his quintet in the form of MuseScore audio files.
    I congratulated with him for his compositions.
    Then he listened to my work rendered with GPO from notation software.
    «Wow! With this kind of realism you don't even need to have your music
    performed by live musicians!»
    Lucky man he is. He can have his music performed by human beings
    and the quality of his work even shows through squeaky synthesized sounds.
    [\STORY]

Poorly written and scored music can possibly be mended by post production,
    but good one don't need fancy plug-ins.
    It's not typography to make a poem a good one — ask Virgil.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

It is tempting for no-talent "musicians" to USE computer power to generate music-like noises. I am so glad to know that real music is alive even if it was written hundreds of years ago, and these plug-in generated sh will not be heard even tomorrow.
    Ted

Random thoughts.

Using a 'technological' solution to once what was a 'manual' problem is nothing new, for better or for worse.

The example that first comes to mind is of various reference books, where I can flip to the rough area where something is and find what I'm looking for, just from having used it for so long, that I know where each topical area is. But with everything transitioning to electronic form, all you need to do is type in a keyword and it'll find it for you immediately. Faster and more convenient, definitely, and the end result is the same in that I find whatever it is I'm looking for.

Perhaps there's not really any huge detriment to this new system, but my mind instinctively rebels against this in that I have a mental 'picture' (for lack of a better word) of how everything is organized and arranged, and being brought immediately to what I'm looking for without necessarily seeing where it fits into the bigger framework... it feels like that subtracts from my understanding/memory of the topic. Maybe it's just the way I learn and how my mind works, but I find I retain things better with physical books in comparison to reading in electronic format. Even little visual cues like, "oh, I know this paragraph is on the left center part of this page, I circled these particular words, and there's a small tear on the page in the middle," come to mind, and helps fix things in my memory.

So with regards to creating music.

I'd probably argue that using technological shortcuts which could create the same results as doing things by hand are fine, if your goal is only the end result, of creating music. (Obviously, sometimes/oftentimes they cannot match it, but as technology progresses, it may well do so). However, I would also argue that your understanding of it, the mental framework, will be lacking if you rely on such automation. While that may be all and good if you're looking to produce a specific result (thinking of commercial requirements, deadlines, etc.), it could potentially be a problem if you ever need to step outside the box.

The second example that comes to mind is with regards to certain trends I'm seeing in my own line of work. Once upon a time, many products we used were almost all supplied in powder + liquid form. Measure the powder, measure the liquid, and mix together. Nowadays, more and more are supplied in automix dispensors, just squeeze the syringe and it'll automatically take the two parts and mix them for you. Or it'll be in a capsule that you place in a machine that'll mix it for you. Consistent results every single time, fast, and easy to use. And I can certainly understand the trend, considering that these days in this industry unfortunately, statistically the average employee has an employment duration of 6 months in one location, and it takes TIME to train someone to do it properly by hand to your liking. (And I'm particularly grateful for those who I've had the privilege of working for me for many years, some for over a decade).

What the automatic solutions don't do though, is let you vary things. Need it a bit more viscous just this one time? Need it to set just a little faster? What you give up for convenience, is flexibility, and experience as well.

Wall of text done, back to the Christmas song, which I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to get done in time...
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum