• Register
  • Help

Topic: To many Libraries freeze GS???

Share/Bookmark

To many Libraries freeze GS???

I am running GigaStudio 96. After I converted a few CDs from Akai to Gig, Giga wouldn\'t load up, It would just freeze on the spash screen. I\'d do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, End Task & run again, Giga would load in Diagnostic mode. So I reinstalled Giga, now the 1st time it starts Giga it says creating the Quicksound database & freezes there.
    Our switch from hardware sampler to Giga is sooo damn frustrating.
    There is soo much work that is being heldcoz of this. Someone PLEASE help.
    Another thing is in Diagnostic mode it says all my hard drives are only 2047MB. I have a 6gb Boot drive partitioned in 2 (C & D) and an SCSI Ultra160 18GB (E). What happened to the balance space of my drives in the diagnosis?

Re: To many Libraries freeze GS???

Hey Bodhiman -atleast you have hardware experience. I started with a custom computer, high end orchestral libraries, Gig96,Cubase Producer Pac,Delta 66 and two hard drives of 9 os and 60 music. My unexperience is that it freezes anywhere it wants, whenever it wants and just to keep you alert during your anger, works for a few minutes ( a random reinforcement inducement for hope). I have only been at it for seven months, contacted all the makers hardware and software, asked advice on the net user groups and tried to figure it out for myself. Nothing so far works, including all of the above (myself included of course). If ever I should stumble upon a solution, I will share it. Meanwhile, I am saving all these configurations because when I go to hell, they will be the ideal solutions for freezing it over. Curiously, I get the same numbers you do.
    I wish you a better day. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bodhiman:
    I am running GigaStudio 96. After I converted a few CDs from Akai to Gig, Giga wouldn\'t load up, It would just freeze on the spash screen. I\'d do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, End Task & run again, Giga would load in Diagnostic mode. So I reinstalled Giga, now the 1st time it starts Giga it says creating the Quicksound database & freezes there.
    Our switch from hardware sampler to Giga is sooo damn frustrating.
    There is soo much work that is being heldcoz of this. Someone PLEASE help.
    Another thing is in Diagnostic mode it says all my hard drives are only 2047MB. I have a 6gb Boot drive partitioned in 2 (C & D) and an SCSI Ultra160 18GB (E). What happened to the balance space of my drives in the diagnosis?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by jamiha (edited 08-07-2001).]

I Hope Tascam will come up with a convincing hardware solution to get us all out of this hell !!!!

Well... I don\'t think hardware is a problem. I use the Steinberg 24/96 card, on a PIII 450MHz. I have a ASUS 440BX chipset mobo(IMHO the best chipset of Intel so far), with 768MB RAM, Adpatec 19160 SCSI controller card and an 18GB 10,000rpm Ultra160 Seagate Cheetah drive. For MIDI I use a MidiMan BiPort 2x4S interface.
    Again IMHO the above config should rock Giga.

The solution I found to my own problem is... I deleted all the Giga samples I had converted & reinstalled Giga again, I haven\'t registered(and registration is one of the most painful process I\'ve come across). To add to my misery the gigapiano CD i got doesn\'t work, & I haven\'t got any reply from Tech Support on a replacement CD.
    After the clean install giga loaded up & didn\'t hang on the startup. Now I intend to convert the samples I need only as & when I need them. But of course theres always the fear that it will hang on startup when it has reached too many libraries.
    So far I haven\'t had any other kind of hanging/freezing problems with Giga except on startup freeze. Hope this helps anyone else who needs it.

Had the same thing happen last night after converting 3 Akai CD\'s. Tried it a number of times, GS kept locking up. Uninstalled, and reinstalled, and it (after a long time of loading the Quicksound or whatever) worked. I noticed that GS would take longer and longer to start with the more libraries I added. Is there any way to disable the Quicksound from searching all my drives for .gig files every time it boots? I can find them myself.

I tried goin into diagonastic mode & trying to disable QuickSound. Didn\'t find anything that helped. If this is a bug & Nemesys has a fix or any solution, please let us know. (dispaired sigh!)

SOD213, version 2.2 is much faster at startup. However sometimes it is necessary to rebuild the WHOLE quicksound db if you added any libraries without having GS running, since it will not automatically detect these anymore.

Simon,
    How am I supposed to go about this procedure exactly? Can I disable the Quicksound db assessment?
    Thanks

I haven\'t set anything, v2.2 just does this I think.

Go Back to forum