• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaSampler as VST2.0 instrument?

Share/Bookmark

GigaSampler as VST2.0 instrument?

Hi all,

I find the stand-alone-program concept clumsy when working with for example Logic Platinum. (In other cases it\'s excellent!)
    I would much prefer working with a GS VST-instrument plug in, using third party effects, bounce everything to disc at once, and so on..

What do you think?

With Halion out there, we know it is possible...

Regards / Cambiata

Re: GigaSampler as VST2.0 instrument?

I agree (kind of)! Presumably you would lose all the advantages of the low-latency GSIF stuff (the signal would have to go through all those nasty software layers...) so VST is maybe not the best choice.
    I use Logic and GigaStudio and 2 soundcards (Yamaha DSP Factory and Hoontech DSP 24 Value) and then patch the sampler outputs (from DSP24) back into the input of the Yamaha card. That way, the total GigaStudio output comes up in an Input Object in Logic.
    What I\'d really like is 1 multiclient soundcard, with EASI and GSIF interfaces, that allows you to route digital outputs back into digital inputs INTERNALLY i.e. the digital output of the GigaStudio channels (GSIF) can be routed back into separate input channels (EASI). No loss of signal and everything ends up inside Logic for digital mixdown.....
    Is that asking too much?!

no, that card already exists. Its called Mixtreme, is made by soundscape and I have owned it for the last 2 years or so. It´s the best investment I ever made. It allows you to completely replace your outboard mixer and has the best driver support I have seen so far. You get low latency ( down to 1.5ms ), WDM, ASIO, GSIF etc. drivers and the best support ever. I simply love this company ! :-) ( I am not on their payroll ! )

and the best thing is you can route GS output right into VST without patching any cables or stuff. It´s great ! :-))

You can do all that and more with Pulsar too.... and BTW: VST is not slow or anything anymore. Use ASIO2 and VST instruments and you have very low latency on a good soundcard - and it\'s TIGHT.

It may be a matter of performance vs. convenience. For example, with Native Instrument products you get the choice, plug-in or standalone - and most NI players I know prefer standalone for the sake of live performance. Sure, with plug-in synths and without any effects in the signal path you can get a few voices of just about anything somewhat tight, but to get respectable polyphony you have to increase the buffer size - and then you lose the playability.

To be practical, for musicians who play with any level of chops, we need to be able to have high ployphony, tight latency, AND freedom to use effects running in the same signal path, thus the plug-in synths are better off as \'rendering\' tools and not real musical instruments.

It depends on your style of production what works best for you.

[This message has been edited by wazoo (edited 08-10-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wazoo:
    It may be a matter of performance vs. convenience. For example, with Native Instrument products you get the choice, plug-in or standalone - and most NI players I know prefer standalone for the sake of live performance. Sure, with plug-in synths and without any effects in the signal path you can get a few voices of just about anything somewhat tight, but to get respectable polyphony you have to increase the buffer size - and then you lose the playability.

To be practical, for musicians who play with any level of chops, we need to be able to have high ployphony, tight latency, AND freedom to use effects running in the same signal path, thus the plug-in synths are better off as \'rendering\' tools and not real musical instruments.

It depends on your style of production what works best for you.

[This message has been edited by wazoo (edited 08-10-2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

depends on your hardware. I\'m running Athlon 1.33Ghz and in SONAR ) can get plenty of playable polyphony (B4, EVP73, LiveSynth Bass, Piano, Strings etc...with and aux reverb, eq\'s etc. all running along side my disk based audio tracks.

Giga is definitely more powerful...but it\'s no longer true that you can\'t get playable polyphony with softsynths and effects in the context of a sequencer.

-david abraham

Ego Sys is supposed to have newer software/drivers called Gigawire taht lets you route Giga outputs directly back into Cubase I haven\'t tried it cuz I\'m running an old version of 98 (not se) on my main audio desktop..and I\'m too freaking lazy/scared to update it since its working fine....

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum