I think I finally fixed my problems under Windows XP with Sonar 2.1 (happened on 2.13 also) causing severe clips, static, wrong notes, and ultimately audio stopping automatically, etc, when playing large files and samples in gigastudio.

The problem seems to be related to insufficient CPU/hard drive throughput to pass the audio down and the CPU gets overwhelmed.

Here is what I did to fix the problem for me and I hope it works for others who are wasting far too much mental energy trying to solve the technical issues and not on the creative ones...

1.) Follow the optimization guides for your operating system. In other words, before doing the next two steps, make sure you\'ve done all the initial tweaking you can do and that your system is as fine tuned as possible (ie: correct buffer settings, no windows graphic effects, hard drive is defragmented, all the right registry settings, etc.)

2.) Very important, go to this website and download the Intel chip accelerator because this causes your CPU and hard drive to effectively do higher throughput:

PLEASE read through everything on the site before you start downloading and installing. You may need to pre-install the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility depending on your chipset. Intel also provides a chipset identification utility if your unsure of what you have - it\'s linked from the same page.

Intel claims very significant increases in boot times and application speed. I definitely noticed the improvement – I would estimate about 10-15% which is all it took to get rid of the crackles and other audio problems. Here is a simple test you should try – load a large complex giga performance and time it before and after you install this chipset process.

3.) From the start->run option, type this in just before you run gigastudio:

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

What does this do? This frees up any idle tasks running in the background so that Windows XP can devote its full attention to what you want it to do.

I think this has solved my problem because I have a huge midi file (450 measures, 32 MIDI channels) that was practically unusable prior to my doing these steps.

For your reference, my equipment:
• Dell/Intel Pentium 4 - 2 gigahertz
• Windows XP home (service pack 1), 1 gig of RAM
• 80 gig hard drive (7200 RPM)
• Cakewalk Sonar 2.1
• Gigastudio 96.2305
• Audiophile 2496

Good luck and let me know if this solves the problem for you too! Now on to the music!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]