• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: HESITATIONS FROM A "GS-SEDUCED" MAC-USER

Share/Bookmark

HESITATIONS FROM A \"GS-SEDUCED\" MAC-USER

Hello, guys,
    I\'m very seduced by the gigastudio concept, and consider using it as a stand-alone for my musical wanderings...
    BUT, as a Mac user, really not used to windows weird messages/behaviour/crashes,I must confess I\'m a bit afraid :
    Has my \"ultimate-sampler/ultimate-sounds dream\" got good chances to come true trouble-free, or to be quickly spoiled by bugs, unexplained crashes, freezes, mysteries ? Do I get to become a Windows-expert ???(I\'d rather not....)
    The main reason why I seriously consider switching to GS (apart from the better sound quality) is the hope I\'ll just make music, and cease spending my time loading samples in ram-limited gears and tiring my eyes on tiny screens..
    But, users, be honest with me : given a good machine/card setup, is GigaStudio stable and bug-free enough to allow you to make music with a quiet mind, OR do you always have to deal with unexpected problems and always fear something going wrong ??
    The more feed-back I\'ll have, the more informed I\'ll feel before making my mind and investing big money on a whole st (PC+Disk+Ram+soft...)
    So I promise to read anything you got to say, and I...
    THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR INLIGHTS !

Re: HESITATIONS FROM A \"GS-SEDUCED\" MAC-USER

I would strongly suggest buying a dedicated turn-key system from Soundchaser. www.soundchaser.com

You will most likely get a very stable system which will allow you to make music and not worry about Windows.

Yes GigaStudio is pretty stable, at least if you run in on a solid system with as many \'quality components\' as possible. However I think it has trouble when you start maxing it out. At least I experience frequent crashes (=reboot) when I work on something where I constantly use more than the 160 voices GS is capable of producing.

\"I experience frequent crashes (=reboot) when I work on something where I constantly use more than the 160 voices GS is capable of producing.\"

Mmmmmm... I wonder why?

I started with GS with hardly any pc experience (I do my sequencing/audio on Mac). I never had any problems. For a modern Gigahertz PC Gigasampler is a peace of cake (as long as you have no other music software on the same computer).

I just have a clean win98 or winME version, installed Gigastudio and started making music.

It is good to have an extra 7200rpm harddrive that you use for your samples. Also buy at least 256mb ram.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buzzo:
    \"I experience frequent crashes (=reboot) when I work on something where I constantly use more than the 160 voices GS is capable of producing.\"

Mmmmmm... I wonder why?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah me too.... I am sure you were being sarcastic, but there\'s really no need to be so - GigaStudio should NOT crash when you stress it - there must be something buggy about it\'s code that selects which notes to play and which samples to pursue, that makes it crash easier when it is stressed. Something is wrong for sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buzzo:

Mmmmmm... I wonder why?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if this has as much to do with processor load as anything else. My experience (using 1 ghz machines) has been that even if Giga can sustain 160 notes of poly (and it does) it gets terribly sloppy at handling blasts of notes when the processor is that busy. Response slows, notes hang on too long, etc., not to mention the ugly snaps in the audio as notes are stolen. I suspect faster processors will improve the response under heavy load. However, *major* work on the note stealing algorithm is needed.

Doug

Hi there!

To put it simple, go for it!
    Like you I am/was a dedicated Macuser with NO knowledge what so ever about PC\'s.
    I used 4 hi-standard samplemachines loaded with expensive RAM, just to have a full orchestra under my fingertips. It worked, but GIGA 160 is still better - it\'s fast, loading everything at once, and a lot that is.. I never really learned how to program my Akai and EMU samplers, in that respect GIGA is more userfriendly. And we want to make music, not to become technicians.
    My very most important advice is to have SUPPORT by a friend (with PC-knowledge, and/or buying your gear at a serious dealer, who cares about her customers - because you\'ll need it!) But it\'s worth while!
    In the beginning, I was deeply perplexed about even the simplest thing, e.g. the meaning of \"rightclicking on an object\", so I have covered some new ground...

Go for it - spend money on good libraries, and be sure you have someone to call many times!

Good luck from a composer, whose income depend on my project studio!
    Sten.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Marshall:
    I wonder if this has as much to do with processor load as anything else. My experience (using 1 ghz machines) has been that even if Giga can sustain 160 notes of poly (and it does) it gets terribly sloppy at handling blasts of notes when the processor is that busy. Response slows, notes hang on too long, etc., not to mention the ugly snaps in the audio as notes are stolen. I suspect faster processors will improve the response under heavy load. However, *major* work on the note stealing algorithm is needed.

Doug
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed. I don\'t think it has to do with CPU load, since it is barely at 40% or something. Must be some bad coding...

From Doug
    Response slows, notes hang on too long, etc., not to mention the ugly snaps in the audio as notes are stolen. I suspect faster processors will improve the response under heavy load. However, *major* work on the note stealing algorithm is needed.

Interesting concept.
    I have had problems with pops and clicks ever sinse I firstbought giga studio and have tried everything with no sucess to cure the pop/click problem. And it even clicks if I only have 30 percent ram used.
    This is the first time that I have heard the theory that the pops and clicks aren\'t a problem with my computer or configuration but a side effect of note stealing from a poor algorithm in this program.
    Maybe I have been driving my self nuts to fix a problem which is actually a bug in giga studio.

Go Back to forum