• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sequencer Slows Down

Share/Bookmark

Sequencer Slows Down

I have a P3 550 with 386MB RAM, and am using Giga Studio and Cubase VST24, 3.7r2 both on the same machine. Up until recently things were working fine.

Now when I playback sequences with GS running just one channel, the playback speed slows down - more so with higher poliphany. I\'ve never before had this problem.

The only thing new I have done - that I can think of anyway - prior to this problem occurring, is that I installed updates for Dan Dean Solo Strings. Can anyone make suggestions?

Can anyone using the same or similar system suggest optimum settings, etc.

I\'d really appreciate it so thanks alot in advance.

Re: Sequencer Slows Down

Move your sequencer priority settings higher in Giga. This should help. But it may not solve the problem. When the processor is busy things slow down - and Giga keeps it plenty busy. It\'s all part of the joy of Windows which is not a real-time operating system. - Doug

[This message has been edited by Doug Marshall (edited 08-23-2001).]

I\'ve only had Giga for the past week, so I\'m still getting to know it, but I was intending to post about this problem as well. I have an AMD ThunderBird 1.2 Ghz processor and 768RAM and I thought that would be enough, but perhaps I was wrong. I will try changing the sequencer priority as Doug suggested, but I have a question: It has already become obvious to me that the 96 poly of my GStudio is not enough to handle my music and I was thinking of upgrading to 160. But if my sequencer is slowing down (and it\'s slowing down to about 25% of the original tempo) when the poly gets maxed out at 96, what good would it be to upgrade? Also, the processor meter hovers in the 40-50% area when the slow down happens.

Brad

Hi Brad,

I have a friend who uses approximately the same set-up you are using (the one possible difference being that he uses his exclusively for GS). He gets 160 voice polyphany out of his easily. So I suspect something else is going on here.

Also, as I mentioned, this problem for me is new: I did not have it up to a few days ago.
    Ive also discovered one other thing:
    If I play say an arpegio with G. Piano with the pedal down, a bunch of notes start cycling. It sounds like a three ring circus on acid. I dont know what to do.

Somebody. Please help.

Runamuck

Go Back to forum