• Register
  • Help

Topic: how much ram can handle GS?

how much ram can handle GS?

Sorry, I know this has been discussed before but I\'m not sure I understood right: GS can\'t load up more instruments at a time than about 500 mb (what ever the version of GS is)? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Re: how much ram can handle GS?

Well, AFAIK the limit for RAM memory in Gigastudio (the memory that giga can use) is appr. 1GB in win2000 and XP. There has been some discussions re. win98, were some people say that the limit is 512MB and other that it´s 1GB if you set the vcache (i think it is...) right.

Someone else might know more more about this, but...

...this doesn´t mean that you can´t load a larger SAMPLE than 1GB - GS only loads the beginning of the sample into PC RAM, so you can load considerably more than that !

...but bear in mind that at least most orchestral giga samples are quite large, and will eat up RAM fast...

Do a search on this forum, and i think you will find out a lot about this subject, otherwise go to http://www.tascam.com/forums/index.php and do a search in their giga forum !

Cheers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hello Hello! (ok, easy joke [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )
    thank you for your advice. I tried this \"vcache\"-thing but it doesn\'t change anything. I am trying as well the propositions on the tascam site. hm, doesn\'t work either. Seems a bit complicated to me... oh my, oh my... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Yes, there is a limit to how much Win98 can actually use, and it\'s about 512 MB of RAM. Win2K and XP have a limit of about 4 GB if I remember correctly, but unfortunately, Gigastudio can only use about 1GB or RAM.

Everyone has high hopes that this problem will be resolved with Gigastudio 3.0 when it is released.

Also, make sure you know the RAM limit for your particular motherboard, as different motherboards have different limits.

Hello Vertigo!
    Well 550 mb is about what I can use actgually. My computer indicates 192 of RAM. can you tell me what this means for GS? Indeed - let\'s hope the problem will be resolved by tascam...
    best regards

Markus - if your machine has only 192MB of RAM, that will be a big limitation on your use of GigaStudio. You should have at least 512MB.
    Don\'t believe everything you read here either - Win98 can definitely use more than 512MB of RAM, it can use the full 1GB and seems to be a better choice for GigaStudio than Windows XP at the moment.

Hello Simon!
    Thank you for your reply. So it seems there is nothing much to do with my small ram. ok, ok, I think I have to get a new machine (when I have the money... in about a year [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). I just got my first gigas (sam horns) and I\'m very impressed. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Very inspiring!!!
    best regards,

Go Back to forum