• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gigastudio is a POS

Gigastudio is a POS

I too am about to give up on Gigastudio. Giga was working fine for a few months and all of a sudden crashes for no reason. But as many of you know from my previous posts, it doesn\'t really \"crash\". It just dissapears when I attempt to load a patch but I know it\'s still open since my sequencer keeps playing it..kinda like a \"ghost giga\".

I have wasted time doing numerous reinstalls and tweaking it with no luck. I have all the standard components, Digi9652 soundcard, etc...done all the tweaks, tried different ram, completely cleaned harddrives, asked my mother....blah blah blah and IT STILL CRASHES. Sometimes when I\'m lucky it doesn\'t crash and simply does not allow me to load a patch. I double click on channel 1 and then choose an instrument.....nothing. I try channel 2....nothing. The blanks remain blank. AHHHHHHHHHH.

This is why software has soooo far to go to catch up to its hardware counterparts. I would gladly pay a LOT more money for a Gigastudio hardware rackmount. This wasted time just isn\'t worth it. I am praying that if and when Gigastudio 3 comes out, Tascam actually makes it work. For those of you who have working Gigastudios right now and don\'t understand what I\'m talking about...you may be next. I was one of you before...

This software is simply unstable, terribly programmed, and a POS. God bless.

P.S. And when I talked to Gigastudio tech support on the phone (emailing them doesnt get you a reply), the guy told me that the program dissapearing off my screen might have something to do with my video card malfunctioning.....That\'s not even funny.

Re: Gigastudio is a POS

I would format my system and start all over. Seems like a virus to me.
    But you all probably did this so ignore my message.

Alex Cremers

Thanks Alex,

I did that about 10 times though [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

All this talkabout GS problems....

I dont see any other software that can do the same job...viz stream huge samples directly from a hardisk. I tried evaluating several ... Kontakt cannot even load a single giga piano (duh! unless you have > 1Gb ram). Halion format is never going to see the likes of SI strings or GOS. what else?
    can you name another software to replace GS?

I agree that customer service is pathetic.There is alway one stupid moron answering the phone if you call the number in the nemesys website. He appears annoyed by your call usually.

But hey I was able to get GS going on a simple laptop with no special HD but just a cheap external GSIF soundcard. I was amazed at the latency, given my experience with kontact demo and halion etc.,... I did get several crashes, but these were repeatable ... esp. when I had the midi controller in a different state when I turned off GS as opposed to when I turned it on. I undestood there will always be conflicts in the horrible mess called windows where all these software are trying to work together!

Hi VincePro,

The same thing happens to me when I modify a patch in the Gigaeditor that is part of an existing performance file. If I do not rebuild the performance file from scratch and name it differently, GS crashes or shows some other weird behaviour.

Hope this helps.
    Jeannot Welter.

I\'ve had GS for over 2 years now, and I had almost every horror story out there happen to me.....

Until I took a chance and installed GS 160 on a PC by itself with the best soundcard I could afford at the time. Treating it like a \"dedicated hardware sampler\".

I had problems the first 2 weeks, and I have NEVER had any problems since. Almost all serious GS users dedicate a PC just for GS. Regardless what Tascam/NS say, I would never recommend someone using GS and a sequencer on the same machine. (While some users claim they have a stable machine though.)

Go Back to forum