• Register
  • Help

Topic: LAST IMPORTANT QUESTION BEFORE MAKING THE GS PLUNGE

Share/Bookmark

LAST IMPORTANT QUESTION BEFORE MAKING THE GS PLUNGE

Okay, I made my mind and I’m \"one-music-retailer away\" from joining the GS users band !
    But I have a last important question (have been waiting 2 days for Nemesys answer to that, am still waiting….), and let me introduce it in 2 points :
    1) GS 96 fits my budget far better (the whole Giga setup will make me nearly broke for some weeks at best).
    2) GS 96 seems to fully meet my polyphony needs, since, to be quite frank, I’m not musically able to manage more than a few instruments and voicings at once… And about FX section, I’ll have a multiple outputs card, and two good external FX processors on my 03D, so the NFX extras are not necessary.
    -------
    SO GS 96 SEEMS to be the right answer for me, BUT for one thing MAYBE….
    and here‘s why I GREATLY need advice :
    I saw that GS96 has a 2 « multi-level » capacity, vs 4 for GS 160.
    I believe (from what I understood) it’s the number of layers available in a program, am I right ? So I’d really appreciate people to tell me if the « only 2 » of GS 96 is a severe limitation in real life, when wanting to play sophisticated instruments (such as the Scarbee’s basses, or Seyers bass, or Gigapiano, or whatever…) or NOT.
    Besides, I own many Akai samples (like Quantum Guitars, for instance), which sometimes use 3, 4 or 5 layers to velocity-switch betweeen sounds…. Is it easy to convert them in order to use the « dimensions » rather than these « layers », in order to play them as they were intended (I mean not via velocity anymore, but at least via keystrokes or controller action? ?
    Thanks for helping me find my sleep again ! !
    Gilles

Re: LAST IMPORTANT QUESTION BEFORE MAKING THE GS PLUNGE

GS96 has 2 MIDI ports, vs 4 ports in GS160. These ports can be linked to layer two MIDI channels. But…

The layers you’re thinking of are all contained in the GS instrument, so 2 vs 4 is not a problem.

SO, just to make it CLEAR once and for all (excuse my « sillyness », but as a « will-be-a-user », I know GS just from the outside -by the forum’s feedback and the specs I read on Nemesys’ site-) :
    ----
    It’s really sure that in no way the choice of GS96 will prevent me from using « big » programs like Scarbee’s or Seyers’ basses ? The ONLY difference is in the number of available midi channels, in the FX section and in the polyphony, right ? ?
    Well, 96 voices, NFX1 and 32 midi channels will make make me perfectly glad as long as I can play any kind of program with that ! (I do prefer less voices at my disposal, and have some money left to start my sound bank very soon so I can feed the 96 ones!)

Just a warning - with samples like those available for GS, 96 voice polyphony may sound like a lot! But it is not necessarily. (Remember that a each stereo sample will use 2 voices, if you have crossfades, each crossfade will use additional voices, etc.).

Even just playing the Gigapiano, it is easy to go over 100 voices.

In effect, the nature of the samples makes it very easy to use lots of polyphony - and you will also notice that many users of GS96 get frustrated with the 96 voices very quickly and want to upgrade to 160...

I\'d like to verify the point CC made. I\'ve only had my GStudio for two weeks and often find my polyphony maxed out even when I\'m just using GigaPiano. I\'m already wishing I had gone with the 160. If there is any way you could swing it financially, I would recommend springing for it. That polyphony does get eaten up awfully quickly.

Brad

And to answer your other question, yes you can load any \'big\' sound. The only difference is that you \'only\' have 32 instead of 64 midi channels.

Go Back to forum