• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Topic: GigaStudio and Cakewalk

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    GigaStudio and Cakewalk

    I am running Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and I have a sounblaster Live sound board. I have two questions..
    1) When GigaStudio loads a gigasample, it loads it into bank 0. This is where CW likes to see the General Midi bank so the instrument/patch names don\'t agree with GS. Is it possible to make GS load the samples into a bank other than 0? That way, I will be able to see the instrument names in CW.
    2) When I use the mouse to \"click\" on a note in the virtual piano keyboard in GS, the sound is great. When I play the same note on my MIDI keyboard, the volume is only half of what it was with the mouse click. Does anyone have any ideas as to whats up there?

    Thank you in advance
    Clavguy

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    4,040

    Re: GigaStudio and Cakewalk

    Go under Options, Instruments. Find the GigaStudio ports and hold the shift key, click on Out x/1 (x being the port number)and then click on Out x/16 to highlight all 16 MIDI channels. Then click on Generic (0-127) in the Uses Instrument column. This will get rid of the GM names. You will notice that the instrument names will now be numbered from 0 to 127. You will have to define custom instruments to match the patches loaded in GigaStudio but these will only be for one performance. I never use the custom instruments because it is too time consuming. I just flip back and forth between Cakewalk and GigaStudio to assign the correct patches. Then I save a performance for each song so that I load in the correct sounds in the future for that song. Cakewalk will not pickup the patches you have loaded into GigaStudio automatically.

    You may want to check what the volume is set at in Cakewalk to make sure that it is turned up as loud as in GigaStudio. This may be where the volume difference is.

  3. #3

    Re: GigaStudio and Cakewalk

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haydn:

    You may want to check what the volume is set at in Cakewalk to make sure that it is turned up as loud as in GigaStudio. This may be where the volume difference is.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Thanks for the help on the first question I had Haydn.... But as far as the volume question, I don\'t even have Cakewalk running when that volume difference is noticed...

    Thanks again
    Sincerely
    Clavguy


  4. #4

    Re: GigaStudio and Cakewalk

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clavguy:
    Thanks for the help on the first question I had Haydn.... But as far as the volume question, I don\'t even have Cakewalk running when that volume difference is noticed...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Since the mouse isn\'t velocity sensitive, notes you click on the virtual keyboard have fixed velocity... probably 127. My guess is that you\'d get the same volume by whacking your keyboard hard enough to generate a velocity of 127 (something you\'re less likely to do while playing normally).

    Wouldn\'t that be cool, though? A velocity-sensitive mouse.

    KB


  5. #5

    Re: GigaStudio and Cakewalk

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by KBub:
    [B] Since the mouse isn\'t velocity sensitive, notes you click on the virtual keyboard have fixed velocity... probably 127. My guess is that you\'d get the same volume by whacking your keyboard hard enough to generate a velocity of 127 (something you\'re less likely to do while playing normally).

    Wouldn\'t that be cool, though? A velocity-sensitive mouse.

    KB

    Thanks a lot KB... That makes a lot of sense. I will try that tonight after I get home

    Clavguy


Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •