Topic: Making a stereo out of Mono

Share/Bookmark

Making a stereo out of Mono

Any suggestions how to make my
    acoustig guitar
    recorded in Mono
    sound like a great stereo
    rcording?
    Using NFX or ANY other effects or tricks?
    How do they do it n studios, when they record a Mono guitar?

Re: Making a stereo out of Mono

I know some studios make use of a delay to fatten up a sound. I\'ve done this many times and in fact I find this to be more natural sounding than without effects at all. Remember you hear EVERYthing in stereo outside of the \"speakers\" unless you only have one ear.

To me, mono is only relevant once you enter the digital/analogue realm. Acoustically, you always deal with stereo. This is why some engineers stereo mic a section with the micS around a manican\'s (sp?) head or with the mics placed carefully on separate sides of the room. (always conscious about phase cancellation though). The goal is to recreate the effect of what one would really hear by sitting in a room with the instrument you are concerned about.

Unless you are sitting slam smack in the middle of the instrument (rarely happens) the sound will hit one ear before it hits the other (whichever is in closet line of sight) then the other ear gets the \"remnants\" of the rest of the sound : hence you get a delay effect. You might want to take this into concern by slightly eq\'ing the output from the delay box which you should pan to the opposite direction of your instrument in the stereo field. Stick your finger in your ear next time you go to a lecture or concert. Notice the very slight difference in sound between the ears. (this assumes your are sitting anywhere outside the middle)

If you want a wider sound, pan the effects hard left or right and pan the source signal (dry signal) to the opposite side, if you want a thinner sound, start to bring the source back in towards the center. Use your ears, I can\'t stress this enough.

If you have access to a stereo delay with a mono in (most plug ins allow this) pan your dry instrument at about 20 percent from the left in the stereo field. Pan the stereo delay\'s left channel hard left and set it to about 40 ms. Likewise pan the the stereo delay\'s right channel hard right and set it to about 50-55ms. Then use your ear to balance the wet and dry signals.

If you only have a mono delay pan your dry signal far left and the delay hard right and set it to about 35-40ms. The goal is make sure you aren\'t \"flanging/phasing\" the sound which comes from to small of a delay. Use you ear and you will hear this.

A delay unit is like a poor man\'s reverb that can work wonders. Try it on cello solo or something. Listen how the cello begins to develop \"depth\".

Good luck

Go Back to forum