• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help with Gigastudio + SX

Need help with Gigastudio + SX

Hi there, my problem, which I already posted in other forums but I haven\'t find any solution yet, is that I can\'t use Giga and SX together.

The problem is only when hitting play and/or record in the Cubase transport bar. For example, I can play without problems a Giga instrument thru Cubase, but when I try to record that, or to play in top of something I\'ve already made, I get a lot of spikes in the performance tab, cutting of the Giga instruments voices and the playback in SX is very instable (it stops for few seconds, doesn\'t record what I played, etc.)

I have a dedicated and optimized PC for music, following the Tascam guide and musicxp.com, and I\'ve never had any performance problem before. Also the Giga outs are different from the SX outs. All the program versions and drivers are the latest.

So, does anyone had this same problem before? And any tips or suggestions on how to solve this?

PIV 2.53
    1 Gb RAM
    Layla 24
    Midex 8
    Gigastudio 2.54
    SX 1.06
    WIN XP pro

Re: Need help with Gigastudio + SX

Hi, sorry if I\'m asking the obvious, but are you playing and recording your samples to at least one seperate drive?

Hey Scott, thanks for the reply.

I don\'t quite understand your question. I have two separate drives, C: for system and samples and D: for audio. And when I say Cubase starts having problems when I hit record, is not that I\'m recording the audio from Giga in SX but just the MIDI events for the track which is routed to the Giga instruments.

I have another comment/question. In Cubase when I set up the MIDI outputs of that track, it says nemesys port 1 (emulated). Could his \"(emulated)\" be the cause of the problem, or is supposed to say that?

Hi, yes your drives sound fine. YOur emulated drivers are probably not helping though check this thread from the other day, we were talking about that very thing and how to get rid of the emulated drivers.

You may also want to check some of the known issues;

Also, I think under \"devices\" there is an option to release drivers in the background, pretty sure this helped me at some point....

Scott thanks again for helping me out. I did what you suggested and unfortunately it still doesn\'t work.

Damn!!!!!!!!!! And I have not received a word from the Tascam support people yet.

Do you have other suggestion/advice on how to solve this?

When you say you get a spike in performance, is it in CPU or hard drive?

Have you at any point, messed around with the buffer settings in Cubase?

Also, it is probably a long shot, but make sure that Cubase is using the proper ASIO drivers for your card, not the direct X or multimedia ASIO drivers.

I guess may have already tried this too, but perhaps do a reomve of Cubase and re-install.

Originally posted by juancho:

Do you have other suggestion/advice on how to solve this?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Have you tried changing the \"sequencer priority\" under settings in giga? Try setting it to 5 or so.
    Also check what your audio priority is in Cubase, maybe try setting it to normal.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well the problem has been solved. After changing PCI slots, reinstalling drivers and software, playing with every possible setup combination in Cubase and Giga, etc. finally I got it. I disabled the ACPI/APIC (to standard PC)in my PC and everything is ok now.

Anyway thanks a lot for the help.

A happy Juancho.

Go Back to forum