• Register
  • Help

Topic: Adding Reverb

Re: Adding Reverb

Hi, I have been exploring a lot of options with my reverb lately.

At the moment, I tend to bounce a section at a time and import to Vegas or Cubase. Once I have a stereo track of say strings, I can apply a reverb or even an impulse file to it. I tend to make the reverb a lot wetter for percussion and it really sounds like it is at the back of the hall.

Some instruments like Sam Horns generally dont need verb at all, but I guess you could apply a little hall reverb to the whole mix at the end to try and make the sections sound more cohesive. The danger would be smearing the whole thing with too much verb.

Also, you can mess with different reverb settings for different libs. GOS is close mic\'d and need a program with lots of early reflections whereas Sam Horns already has that room sound and you may just want to add a verb tail.

Hope this helps some. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Adding Reverb

I have a question to those of you doing rather large orchestrations in GS and adding reverb...

Up to this year, I was doing all my work on one GS machine. This year I\'ve added another computer and am planning on adding a third pretty soon. Since most people who are doing orchestral scores with up to and over 100 MIDI channels, how are you adding reverb? Do you record everything dry in GS and use another reverb program? I used to use the reveb in GS with fairly good results, but with dozens of MIDI channels going at once, I seriously doubt if I can add GS reverb without getting some dropouts. Just for the record my machines are:

Computer 1:
    AMD 2600
    Asus A7vX-X MB
    1 gig PC2700 RAM

Computer 2:
    AMD 2100+
    Asus A7V266-C MB
    1 gig PC2100 RAM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I should have mentioned that I\'m using the Echo MIAs in both machines.

I guess I\'m going to have to get used to doing things a different wat now. I must confess, while I understand what limiters and compressors and such are, I really can\'t use them well since I have little to no understanding about how they work. Someday when I have free time (haha) I\'ll have to look into it. I hate to think about how much my mixes suffer because of my lack of knowledge.

Hi Mahler, there sure is a never ending list of things to learn! There is an excellent site called; www.studiocovers.com that features articles and tutorials on mixing, compression, reverb, sample rates, bit depths, etc, etc. Only thing is, the site appears to be down at the moment. Also, www.sospubs.co.uk has some great articles reprinted from their mag teaching you about the types of things mentioned above.

I think it is good to sit down and re-think your whole approach form time to time (which it sounds like you are doing) cause those few hours spent, repay you in your day to day work routine time and time again. If you can streamline certain things it will obviously be of benefit.

Hi Mahler,

I track instruments dry into Logic one part at a time. I hope to improve on that with lite pipe, but I\'m not there yet (need a better sound card). You don\'t mention what your sound card is, but it\'s a crucial piece of the puzzle. Generally, the more expensive souynd cards have better drivers and support, though I can say I\'ve had good luck with ESI (formerly Ego Systems).

As I said I track one part at a time into Logic. SAM stuff gets bused straight to the master bus (it\'s got plenty of room sound), GOS, Dan Dean and LOP go to separate buses for Cakewalk FX3 (to give some room and placement) then to the master bus. Soime instruments need some extra EQ (Dan Dean trumpet, GOS). Once the trackings are done and track parameters are set I\'ll mix for levels. That\'s when I discover I didn\'t have everything but the clarinet muted in one spot (or a few) and have to rerecord a few parts.

I\'ve just discovered some useful (and FREE) VST plugin tools which I\'ll share here. BTW, there\'s more thgan just a limiter and compressor at this site;

The limiter should prove very useful when used carefully and in small doses for orchestral music. In the future I\'ll use it to tame brass tracks which have those occasional extra loud spots. It\'s also good to eke a few extra dB out of more complex scores, but don\'t overdo it or you\'ll lose the realism we all crave so much. Of course if popular music and el;ectronica is your thing then go fer it.

Hope that\'s helpful.

Steve Chandler

Go Back to forum