• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gstudio crashing with IOgear KVM???

Share/Bookmark

Gstudio crashing with IOgear KVM???

Hi all,

Ever since I added my second giga (and IO Gear KVM switch) I have had a very unstable giga on the \'newer\' machine. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I get the \'dialog\' box that informs me that giga needs to close.... the details talk about a \"Mod name - gconv.dll\" - I don\'t know if that is a clue.

With the help of the tech where I purchased the new system, we have done a full clean giga reinstall to no avail. Same thing is happening.

It will either crash when I am editing or \'turning down\' giga for the day (of course, it had crashed every 90 minutes or so that day). Obviously with these large templates a crash puts me out of business for 20 minutes or so. Not to mention the \'frustration level\' takes me out of writing mode.

Has anyone else seen this problem with their KVM switches on newer machines. My original giga (1.5 years old) seems unnaffected by it. The tech that I am working with said there was another composer in LA that had a \'unstable\' giga ever since he added the IO Gear KVM switch.

The \'hotkey\' I use to switch between gigas on the KVM is hitting the \'scroll\' key twice.

Any help would be appreciated.

Intel P4 2.4
    2 gig ram
    gina 24 card

Rob

Re: Gstudio crashing with IOgear KVM???

It’s hard to imagine a KVM switch affecting Giga in any way. Have you tried it without the switch? How much are you resources maxed out when you crash? What sound card are you using in you “stable” system?

Hi Bill,

I Know it is likely not the KVM (grasping for straws here), but I will try just plugging the screen directly into the one giga machine in question. I am not sure what you mean by resourses but I had this 2 gig ram box built to maximize usage for VSL (besides the performance tool no other applications running). My Gina 24 card is the same as the \'older\' machine and I never have these crashing problems with that one. Is there anything else I can tell you??

Thanks in advance.

Rob

I\'m not sure that this helps, but I\'m running Giga with an IO Gear USB KVM without problems. Well mostly. But once Giga is up and running, it\'s very stable - and my most recent template uses 99% of memory, according to Giga.

The problem I have seems to relate to my use of MidiOverLan (MOL) and the associated MIDI Connection Center (MCC). If I start Giga first and then MCC, things seem fine - as long as I disconnect everything in MCC and shut it down before stopping Giga. At least I think that helps.

For a while Giga would start every other time. It was like clockwork. The first boot would work. Shutdown. The second will lock-up. Hard shutdown. Now it works. And on and on. I think my MCC process has fixed it. I hope.

Anyway, I don\'t want to hijack the thread. My KVM seems to work with Giga, and it\'s really stable - except on startup, sometimes.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    I\'m not sure that this helps, but I\'m running Giga with an IO Gear USB KVM without problems. Well mostly. But once Giga is up and running, it\'s very stable - and my most recent template uses 99% of memory, according to Giga.

The problem I have seems to relate to my use of MidiOverLan (MOL) and the associated MIDI Connection Center (MCC). If I start Giga first and then MCC, things seem fine - as long as I disconnect everything in MCC and shut it down before stopping Giga. At least I think that helps.

For a while Giga would start every other time. It was like clockwork. The first boot would work. Shutdown. The second will lock-up. Hard shutdown. Now it works. And on and on. I think my MCC process has fixed it. I hope.

Anyway, I don\'t want to hijack the thread. My KVM seems to work with Giga, and it\'s really stable - except on startup, sometimes.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey Jon,

Thanks for the post. I am running MOL on these two giga computers to the DAW. I am not sure what you mean by

\"MIDI Connection Center (MCC).\"

I have my MOL working with a DLink hub (I have a fourth computer hooked up to the hub that is just for Word and Internet browsing). I have really enjoyed the MOL but is there a potential problem there you think?

Can you make a suggestion via my setup?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Hi Rob,

I don\'t know what might be your problem. I\'ve had problem computers in the past, and it was generally flakey RAM. But who knows?

The MCC is also from MusicLab. And it\'s free.

My setup is like this:

MIDI Keyboard
    |
    V
    Giga PC
    | ^ ^
    | | |
    a b c
    | | |
    V | |
    Sequencer PC

where a, b and c are my MOL connections. (a) brings the keyboard to the sequencer. (b) and (c) are from the sequencer to the two GS96 ports.

I set Giga to accept the MIDI keyboard as its input. I then use the MCC to do two things: send the keyboard also to (a), and to send (b) and (c) to the Giga Ports.

This lets me start the Giga PC and play keyboards without MCC. When I want to sequence, I start MCC and connect a, b and c. Then the keys to to the sequencer and the sequencer to Giga.

I hope that was clear.

Sorry I don\'t have any easy fixes in mind. Good luck.

Hi Rob,

I\'m using MOL with Giga without any problems. I also use a KVM (Belkin at the moment) with no problem. The KVM is an external device with no drivers, so it should not impact the stability of the system (unless there is something electrical going screwball). I did have issues with my Giga crashing when I installed a new Radeon graphics card however. What kind of graphics card is in your system?

Hi again guys,

Thanks for your posts. I ran an experient tonight. I had no crashes for 4 hours. I had the \'good giga\' on the screen that whole time but the \"problem child\" giga was playing perfectly in the background loaded to the max with my template. After fours hours just as soon as I would \'double click\' on my \'scroll\' key (this switches between computers on the IOGear) the \'problem child\' giga crashed.

I would say this is how is crashes mostly - by switching from one giga to the other.

I wonder if there is something in the \'hotkey\' that is sending to my giga that is causing this???

I\'ll check to see if it has a Radian video card. I really don\'t know since I had it built.

Again - many thanks.

Rob

Hi all,

I am somewhat sad to report that, while disconnecting the KVM switch, I still got giga crashes (dialog box asking me to close giga - not blue screen crashes.)

I was really hoping that it was a quick fix (different KVM), but as many here have mentioned, the KVM have no drivers to cause such a thing.

My challenge now is that the person (in LA) that built this system will want me to send it back to him. I just cannot tell my current client to wait a week or two while this box gets shipped back and forth. If anyone has any ideas I would sure appreciate it.

I was told my video/graphics card was \'onboard\' and that he hasn\'t had any problems with that with his other customers.

Thanks again in advance.

Rob

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    Hi all,

I am somewhat sad to report that, while disconnecting the KVM switch, I still got giga crashes (dialog box asking me to close giga - not blue screen crashes.)

I was really hoping that it was a quick fix (different KVM), but as many here have mentioned, the KVM have no drivers to cause such a thing.

My challenge now is that the person (in LA) that built this system will want me to send it back to him. I just cannot tell my current client to wait a week or two while this box gets shipped back and forth. If anyone has any ideas I would sure appreciate it.

I was told my video/graphics card was \'onboard\' and that he hasn\'t had any problems with that with his other customers.

Thanks again in advance.

Rob
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">maybe bad memory or a bad motherboard? which motherboard do you have btw?
    is it still crashing when you hit the roll button? i have a belkin switch and have not problems besides that i have to switch to the pc i want to turn on and then have to turn it on until its ready otherwiese i will have to switch back and forward and open task manager once and close it again other wise my mouse dont worx and without the taskmanger open/close its like the pc is crashed?
    anybody knows this??? any other workaround?

Go Back to forum