• Register
  • Help

Topic: Athalon (VIA chipset) and Giga

Athalon (VIA chipset) and Giga

I was thinking about getting a new system with a VIA chipset for a dedicated giga box. I noticed some murmurings on the board about VIA/Athalon not playing nice with Giga, but couldn\'t find anything conclusive. Should I go for a PIV instead?

Re: Athalon (VIA chipset) and Giga

Hey Anders, that was more with older VIA chipsets. I\'m running two here, rock-solid, every day.

Main thing is to update the chipset drivers when you install Windows. You can get the drivers from; www.viaarena.com

Don\'t forget to install the VIA 4-in-1 drivers after installing Windows OS.

I\'ve seen brand-new built PCs with very fast CPUs that can\'t even play a DVD movie without skips and stuttering until you install the VIA 4-in-1 drivers. They are important!

I too have NO problem with VIA chipsets. In fact, my video workstation is using VIA chipsets and I don\'t have any drop frames in my uncompressed video captures.

Even the VIAKT266 worked fine with Gigastudio. Most people go for the boards with the nForce chiptsets.
    I\'m using the VIAKT600 with no problems.

Just to second Scott\'s post, I\'ve been running VIA with audio apps for quite awhile and never had any trouble. Some do, I guess, but I\'ve been lucky.

You really can\'t go wrong with the latest VIA chipsets. I think they\'re up to what? 800?

I\'ve got a 600 and an Athlon XP 2500+ Barton and it runs GigaStudio just fine.

Go Back to forum