• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What system do I need??

What system do I need??

I am getting ready to buy a windows machine to use the Gigastudio with. I was told that I should purchase a Pentium 3 with 800 to A Gig MHZ that has 256 MB of ram. using a 7200 rpm drive with windows 98. Does this sound about right or do I need more. Also does anyone know about how much a computer like this should cost.

Re: What system do I need??

The two most important items in putting together a GS system are the hard drive and sound card. A fast hard drive is necessary and a good sound card with GSIF drivers is mandatory. Any of the latest 7200 RPM IDE drives will work well (IBM 120GXP, Seagate Barracuda IV, Maxtor D740X, Western Digital BB or especially the JB series - WD800JB, WD1000JB, WD1200JB). And I highly recommend M-Audio\'s Delta series for sound cards, especially the Audiophile, as a low cost solution. And don\'t waste your money on the more expensive Pentium III cpu\'s. You can get the cheaper and faster Intel Celeron/Tualatins or the AMD Duron or Thunderbird/XP cpu\'s. You would save a lot of money and headaches if you bought an integrated motherboard too (already has video and LAN on board). SiS chipset motherboards are recommended - http://www.sis.com/wheretobuy/630cus.htm for Intel based motherboards (look for the 630ET based motherboards to be able to use the Celeron/Tualatins) and http://www.sis.com/wheretobuy/730cus.htm for AMD based motherboards (these are usually harder to find). By shopping around ( http://pricewatch.com ) you can assemble a system for under $500.

Thanks Killer bob for the reply. I will use the information that you gave me.

Although everyone seems to be sticking with the P3\'s, I think people need to realize that the new versions of Giga will crank and be stable with XP
    and P4\', so look to the future! btw - component prices are very reasonable for the P4 systems. I run XP and have found it to be very dependable.

The only thing you get with faster CPU speeds is the ability to use more NFX effects. A P4 is major overkill for a dedicated GS system (plus it is a lot more expensive). The CPU usage will max out at around 40-50% for 160 voices and no NFX on a Celeron 1.3GHz CPU. That means you still have around 600-700MHz worth of computing power left over for NFX effects.

HI folks,

I\'m right into building two cheap GS stations to run as \"dumb\" midi modules to do some orquestal work.
    Would you carfe to recommend a minimum sistem, cheap and lean?
    I mean, the system do not need to do secuencing, internet,nada, just play 160 voices and no FX.
    How well the Tascam 822 card would fit? It has midi also and is cheap.
    Belive it or not, I\'m currently running a PIII 550/maxtor 40GB/SOUND BLASTER ! And I get 130-150 voices most of the time, but not on the piano patch with sustain pedal.
    Any advice, gratly welcomed.

How much RAM have you got Ricren ? Im using Win 98se P3 550 with 256ram and getting to 96 voices EASILY with GS 96. So I\'m hoping to be able to get 160 voices easily with GS 160 and maybe 512 ram soon. All this on just one machine with two IDE hard drives (7200 rpm).

Call it dumb luck, with Win98se and decent ram I run out of polyphony long before I run out of ram/cpu. And others with this same combination seem to report similar results - for what thats worth to the original poster of this thread. I suggest P3 and Win98se as an easy, inexpensive combination for GS with enough ram being the main factor. (Though I havent used GS 160 yet.)

I have 512 MB right now but is not enought to load all the orquestal stuff I need.
    I posted about my system because I think It shows that GS can run well in outdated machines like mine, and with cheapo cards like the SB which is not even Gsif!.
    I used a Wami rack 24 for a while (untiil it broke- a very bad quality item) and I used to reach 160 voices without problems.

Well, as a developer selling TrueSpec computer systems, I have to disagree with some of what I\'ve read here.

First, the rate differences between a P4 and a PIII, depending on the speed, can be between $50 and $100, especially with Intel\'s discount on PIII and P4 chips yesterday.

Second, we wouldn\'t build a Giga system with an Audiophile 2496 card. It\'s a good card, but since GigaStudio can have up to 32 outs, routing to a pair is impractical. Depending on the kind of music you\'re doing, a Terratec EWS88D with the ADAT optical out going to an Alesis AI3 AD/DA is a very reasonable and affordable option giving you 8 audio outs and plenty of room to submix. Frankly, to put anything less than 8 audio outs on a Giga system is unwise.

Third, the P4 is the new standard with motherboards 2GB and better. With a PIII, which will eventually be phased out, depending on the motherboard, RAM can be limited to 512MB, 768MB, and in a rare case, 1 GB. We won\'t know until 3.0 is released how GigaStudio\'s ability to handle RAM over 1GB will be.

Fourth, if you\'re going to try to run GigaStudio on the same system as the sequencing program, then you need to understand that all the progams on the PC have been or are being optimized to take advantage of the P4\'s SSE-2 instruction set. This allows the programs to run faster with more stability, and to handle the extra RAM that WinXP lets you add. And this is important since WinXP alone ideally needs 128MB to load and operate effectively.

All of our TrueSpec Systems now come standard with 3-year onsite servicing. We\'re the only ones with that kind of warranty support. We can also setup the system to have a D-Audio drive of 200GB to 240GB.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. While it needs to be updated, we have a free online course called How to Plan and Buy a Music PC at www.alexuniv.com/musicpc

New York City

I\'ve never built a PC before and can\'t spend $3000 on a Soundchaser rig. It seems that almost everyone on this site uses custom configs. Is assembly of a PC that difficult. Is there any reason I should avoid basic consumer PCs such as Dell (with a pro audio card installed)? Any input greatly appreciated.

Go Back to forum