• Register
  • Help

Topic: A direct "MIDI"-connection between 2 comps?

A direct "MIDI"-connection between 2 comps?

Would anyone know how one could make a MIDI connection between two computers directly (maybe using USB ports?), without a MIDI-Interface on each side? Someone once suggested to use a null-modem-cable (connecting serial ports) and a Yamaha MIDI driver, but people who tried claimed it did not work.
    Thanks for any hints.

Re: A direct "MIDI"-connection between 2 comps?

I have heard good things about \"MusicLab MIDI Replicator\"
    Connecting computers via network cards.
    Also cheaper then getting expensive midiinterfaces.

Info: http://www.musiclab.com/products/rpl_info.htm

Steve\'s right. I have heard a few good reports on the midi replicator, and no negative ones. It gives you more midi ports than Gigastudio needs, and it\'s $29.

Thanks for the tip!
    One member on the SOS Forum also suggested a freeware program called MidiViaNet which MIDI-connects two computers over LAN.
    Now, is it possible to create a LAN using USB ports? I mean, to buy and install two LAN cards is probably more hassle than to buy and install two MIDI interfaces.

Winsted, CT

I don’t think MidiViaNet is a good option. I’ve heard lots of negative feedback.

I’d go with LAN cards. You get what you pay for. Go for the solution that works well, not what’s cheap and easy. You can get FastEthernet cards $25-$30. If you use a crossover cable you won’t need a hub. A LAN has lots of benefits besides sending MIDI.

Go Back to forum