• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stupid Questions

Stupid Questions

I don\'t actually own Gigastudio yet, but I am definitely going to buy it in the near future, just as soon as I have a system which will run it.....which is where my stupid questions come in.

I just persuaded my wife to let me retain my present computer to run cubase, and use the new machine as a dedicated Giga-studio set up. I\'ve been reading the adverts for Gigastudio160, and read that it has 64 MIDI channels on 4 ports. Does that mean I need 4 soundcards on each machine if I want to use one to drive the other? Or is there a way of sending 64 channels via the Parallel or USB port with some interface? If so, do both machines need to be running the same OS, cos I\'d prefer to retain Win98 on one, and run XP on the other.

Please help.

Pingu [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Re: Stupid Questions

Pingu, GS has four MIDI ports. To use them, you get a 4-port MIDI interface, perhaps a Midisport 4x4 (as one example of several) which plugs into the GS computer\'s USB port. Your GS computer is totally independent from the sequencer box, so each machine can run whichever OS you prefer. On the sequencer box, you will need a sequencer which can handle output to multiple MIDI ports, most high-end progs do that, and a MIDI interface that has four or more MIDI I/O ports (preferably more, so you can connect to Giga and you keyboard at the same time.)

It\'s actually much simpler than it sounds. Once you\'ve got your programs and libraries installed and your MIDI devices configured, its all between youj and your manuals! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You\'ll LOVE it!!!

The other option which has recently become available is to network the two PCs and run midi between them via a utility called Midi Replicator (from www.musiclab.com). This will give you more ports than you need, and is probably more complex to set up initially than two midi interfaces, but it\'s cheaper - $30 for the program, plus the cost of 2 ethernet cards.

At this point, there aren\'t many people using MR, but the few who have report good timing. A couple of guys using Logic had hassles though...

Thanks guys, that\'s an enormous help!

When gigastudio refers to the four midi ports its refering to the group of four 16 channel midi ports it adds.

This is to make it compatable with most sequencing programs that can only see 16 channels per instrument... Ie synth or sampler.

You only need a single midi port to use gigastudio
    and then only if your using a controller keyboard.

i hope this helps...

Oh just read your post agin... your refering to using giga across multiple machines.

sorry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Pingu,

If you opt for the Midireplicator be advised of one minor issue. If you plan to simply connect two machines together without an Ethernet hub or switch be sure to get a crossover Ethernet cable. standard issue Ethernet cables are intended to be used with a hub or switch. I have everything I need to use Midireplicator except the time to crack open the boxes and install it.

To clarify ninriggs response. You only need four Midi ports if you plan to use 64 channels. If your needs are more modest and 16 will do fine then you can use a single midi port. If you do need 64 channels then you\'ll need a midi adapter capable of 4 ports on both machines. This really makes the Midireplicator a cost effective and elegant solution.

To answer one of your last questions, since the connection will be Midi, the OS on each machine is irrelevant. You can run XP and Win98 on each machine with no problem.

Steve Chandler
    aka Ettienne

Go Back to forum