• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS budget system with only one HD

GS budget system with only one HD

Hi folks,
    I\'m building a seconf GS machine on a very tight budget. Would you say is safe to do it with just one fast HD with two partitions? One for the OS, virtual mem and program and the rest of rthe disk arranged in a big partition for the giga files?
    My point is: If GS is not reading the OS/VM/ program part of the disk while is playing sounds, apparently there is no need for a second disk, right?

Re: GS budget system with only one HD

Sure, that works fine. Before receiving my RAID card and HD\'s, I worked on a single HD system with full poly. (no VM/no BG tasks)
    Maybe you can add a little extra money and buy a Western Digital HD with jumbo buffer (8MB), nice access time...

Using one drive for GS works just fine. You must do two things though: turn off virtual memory (turn off the paging or \"swap\" file under the performance tab), and tell Windows not to unload system DLL\'s. Since Windows 9x and 2000/XP use different methods for reading the \'unload system DLL\' switch, the best way to change this is to use a utility like Lockergnome\'s Xteq at http://www.xteq.com (it\'s freeware).

thanks a lot, you guys for the information and tips.

Where can I find, online, a computer under $700 which will handle GS beautifully?

Btw. It purpose will only be to run GS160 and maybe as an recorder.

Also I\'ve decided to use either Echo Mia or M-Audio Audiophile. Any known issues which I should be aware of with these cards?

Ps. I live in Europe.

Go Back to forum