• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaStudio and Audio Capture

Share/Bookmark

GigaStudio and Audio Capture

Does anyone know how to get GigaStudio 160 to begin audio capture when synched to a sequence in Cakewalk Sonar? Everything appears to be set up correctly. Sonar is set to transmit MIDI start/stop messages, GigaStudio is set to begin recording when triggered from the sequencer. The propblem is that when I start the sequencer, GS is still waiting for the start signal. When I do a straight audio capture, which means starting GS to record before starting the sequencer, everything works fine, except that now I have to manually edit the resulting WAV file to get it to line up with the MIDI tracks in Sonar.

I don\'t get it. This should work.

Thanks.
    MZ

Re: GigaStudio and Audio Capture

A couple of things to check:

Does your midi out from Sonar route correctly to your midi in in Giga?

I don\'t have Sonar but in Cakewalk 8.0 & 9.0 you have to set each file to \"transmit midi start\" and \"use start never continue\"

This isn\'t much help, but I do get Sonar and GS to start and stop the way you are describing. And as Lucas says, be sure to check your MIDI settings for each project as they can be different. I don\'t belive it is a global setting.

Try creating a brand new project with the Sonar defaults, make a single MIDI track, then try to record the WAV file in GS. If this works, then a setting in your project is wrong.

Ron

Guys, my settings are exactly as you described. Still no luck.

The funny thing is that GS is playing the sequence just fine, so it obviously sees the MIDI data. I don\'t get why it doesn\'t see the \"MIDI start\" message to begin the audio capture.

I would like to clarify that I am running GigaStudio and Sonar on the same machine, if that helps. My Sonar tracks are set to MIDI OUT device \"Nemesys MidiOut Port 1\". How should the \"MIDI start\" message be getting into GS from Sonar in terms of MIDI OUT setup at the program level? My only MIDI OUT choices seem to be \"Nemesys MidiOut Port 1-4\" and \"Direct Pro 24/96\". I also have the MIDI Mapper choice but that is currently not selected (I didn\'t think I needed it).

I\'m stumped. Thanks for any other suggestions.

MZ

I think I figured it out. I love it when that happens! I moved the \"Nemysys MidiOut Port 1\" to the top of my \"Midi Devices/Output\" list in Sonar and I was in business. I previously had the Direct Pro 24/96 at the top of the list.

I knew it had to be something stupid.

MZ

*God Bless America*

I just record audio inside either Sonar or Cakewalk. Never use the audio capture in GigaStudio.

I just setup cakewalk to record an audio. Route what I want to record to the input of my soundcard. Set cakewalk to that input from the soundcard and record. I regularly mixdown multiple MIDI tracks to cakewalk. Work on my audio mix, maybe add audio tracks such as guitar and vocals, then mixdown to a stereo track. Then I export the stereo track as a .wav or .mp3.

By the way, I only have one computer that I do this on.

Go Back to forum