• Register
  • Help

Topic: Intel's New HT P4 - Does it help Audio?

Intel\'s New HT P4 - Does it help Audio?

Just curious all. I noticed in the press announcement that hyperthreading will help many applications by as much as 25%. However, on some apps it says the HT will have no effect.

Does audio processing lend itself well to HT?

I appreciate that GS performance is most dependent on Disk IO. Just want to know if the new P4 buys you anything? How about for virtual effects/instruments?

Re: Intel\'s New HT P4 - Does it help Audio?

Darn good question!! Would like to see where the overkill line is when running just a DAW with plug-ins. Then how about a DAW with a softsynth.

Re: Intel\'s New HT P4 - Does it help Audio?

Originally posted by Marty:
    Darn good question!! Would like to see where the overkill line is when running just a DAW with plug-ins. Then how about a DAW with a softsynth.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes the Hyperhtreading is definately an interesting architecture that I will keep under close consideration.

The architecture used on Intel and AMD use different approaches, but the margin is definately getting narrower between the two.

These Chipsets on both companies does already play a significant role in the optimizing of hardware and software applications in spesific user environments in our case \" Giga\" and \" Audio Interfaces\"

The Intel P4 has been good for streaming applications, but has its limitations in the number \"crunching\" department.

I like to favor Intel Chipsets for the High Bandwidth, especially for live tracking , but if heavy plug-ins are in order I still favor AMD.

Therefore I like to think of Intel P4 as the \"Masseuse\" and AMD as \"Cruncher\".

This is only my observations and findings.

Gigastudio definately takes and will take advantage of SSE/SSE2 Infrastructure. (More CPU intensive)

The P4 and newer AMD chipsets have SSE and Intel has SSE/2 infrastructure.

I can definately see how Giga V3 will take advantage of SSE2.
    With SSE2 Intel will serve Gigastudio with a double precision floating point. I believe it will include 128-bit SIMD integer arithmetic and 128-bit SIMD double-precision floating-point operations.

(In my mind) I do see GV3 as a Direct X or VST plug in.

(In my mind) I see GV3 as a supporter for 3rd pary plug ins.)

(In my mind) Gigastudio V3 I do not see as having
    Dual Processor Support, but more optimized for a High performance Single CPU.

I firmly believe that this is where a combination of Netbursting and Hyperthreading technology can aid Giga tremendously.

The Intel P4 Hyperthreading technology will allow Intel\'s chips to process more streams of data as another \"thread\" to the CPU.

So if this Hyperthreading works, it will have Applications see the CPU as 2 virtual CPU\'S. This is once again in my opinion where I think Intel has lacked as far as a good FPU and intense Arthmetic crunching.

What I am getting to is IF Intel\'s new HT technology is true and stable, it will definately be a winner for building a good streaming system.

I will then have the \"Masseuse\" (Streaming and High Bandwith and the \"Cruncher\" (High FPU and Algorythms).

These are once again my opinions, but if the Giga V3 turns out to have the above functions I mentioned, then I definately think Intel would be a good Choice.

I am very open minded, so I tend to build a system that appeals to me in what I want it to do.

I hope that TASCAM could test a system with the \"Hyperthreading\" as soon as its available and take it into serious consideration.

Just my observations

Enjoy the Evening!

David Alamein

Go Back to forum