• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using GS and other software synths

Share/Bookmark

Using GS and other software synths

I\'m quite interested in getting the Native Instruments B4 and the Emagic EVP88 software synths. Has anyone used these or any other software synths along with GS without any problems?

Re: Using GS and other software synths

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Damian Smith:
    I\'m quite interested in getting the Native Instruments B4 and the Emagic EVP88 software synths. Has anyone used these or any other software synths along with GS without any problems?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Native Instruments B4 is a great Hammond B3 emulation. Previously, I was using it as a \"direct connect\" instrument in Pro Tools on a Mac G4. Yesterday, I experimented with the B4 on my Giga PC in Cubase VST 32 for the first time. The only way I could finally get the Native Instruments B4 to work on my Giga PC in Cubase as a VST instrument, was to totally disengage all midi inputs and audio outputs on the hardware routing window of settings in Giga Studio. Once I disengaged these midi and audio settings in Giga Studio, the Native B4 performed very well in Cubase. This was my first venture with VST in Cubase.

Answering your question, I do not believe you can have both Giga Studio and VST instruments running at the same time on the same computer. Perhaps there may be a solution in order to get around this situation on the same computer that I am not aware of. If there is a work-around method for this that I am not aware of, perhaps some other expert on this forum will speak up. Another computer would solve this problem if you need to have VST instruments and Giga running at the same time. Computers are fairly inexpensive these days.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio www.bardstownaudio.com

What about the DXi version with Sonar together with GS? Any thoughts?

GigaStudio\'s kernel architecture is so fundamental that I guess even the slightest difference between windows installations can make quite a difference. This leads to very different results from different users, different results from different machines, different results from the same machines with different windows installations. All this leads up to say....

Although I\'ve got a max polyphony of <140 I\'ve been seemlessly running GigaStudio, Pulsar, & Sonar on the SAME machine for quite some time. I have found little difference between the polyphony of GigaStudio as a stand alone and the polyphony of GigaStudio within Sonar. Whereas others have sought the solution to there poly problems in a seperate Giga machine I am quite happily chugging along with my all in one. I regularly compose using Sonar, GigaStudio, and two softSynths from the Pulsar environment. As these synths are DSP powered they do not effect the CPU and hence have no impact upon Giga poly. Similarly I have done tests with DXi\'s and, although Pulsar does not currently have WDM drivers which would be needed for real-time playability, I have found that they play back fine on my machine. I can imagine that they would reduce polyphony in GigaStudio but I\'m sure if you were producing dance music (i.e. not orchestral stuff) you\'d have no problems running the two together.... ON MY MACHINE.

The big fat letters are important because others, even people with the same spec machine as me, are still having problems with GigaStudio as a stand alone let alone alongside a sequencer.

But I just thought I\'d pop my head up and say... it can be done... and I\'m doing it.

Thx for this deeply encouraging message, Gigadiga!

I\'m using GS poly 120+, 2xB4, EVP88, M-TRON, logic audio 4.7 effects(compression, reverb, eq etc..), pulsar synths simultaniously.
    Not a single hick-up!
    I use a athlon 1.3ghz with ddr ram.

Go Back to forum