• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RME DIGI96/8 - Info appreciated

RME DIGI96/8 - Info appreciated

I\'m looking for a new card for my GigaStudio machine that would support an ADAT interface back to my Digi 001/Pro Tools LE workstation. The RME DIGI96/8 looks like it fits my technical and financial budget.

I did some searches ehre and found little definitive information. I know a few folks are using this card? What sort of results are you getting? Latency? Stability?

Re: RME DIGI96/8 - Info appreciated

I second Mark\'s request for information on the RME DIGI96/8. This looks like a very good card, and I am also a Digi 001/Pro Tools LE user. How about it, guys? Anybody using this card?

I used several 96/8 before I got the Digiface, by the way I still have one.
    With the Digiface I am getting 160 voices, with the 96/8 I was getting around 120.
    Audio latency is also better with the Digiface.

Hope this helps.

I currently have a Giga system being put together by Sweetwater with the new RME card. They\'ve been having some problems interfacing it with WinXP. RME says it\'s a Nemisys problem - Nemisys says it\'s an RME problem. The good news is that both RME and Nemisys are working with Sweetwater to get the problems sorted out.

I\'ve got an RME Digi 96/8 PST and, though I\'m not using an ADAT with it, the stability and sound quality is very good. Highly recommended.

I bought a 96/8 a few months ago for euro (= $) 255 and recently I bought two Hammerfall 9636\'s for about euro 300 per piece. Couldn\'t believe the small price difference, actually.

For some 50 bucks more you get shorter latencies and a second Adat out. Including the s/pdif, that\'s 18 in, 18 out - maybe you just don\'t need that. I bet the Hammerfall some other advantages as well. Maybe you want to follow and browse the RME newsgroup for a while first (http://www.rme-audio.com/english/info/newsgrp.htm).

Home page: http://www.rme-audio.com

You can even expand the 9636 to a full 9652 setup by purchasing an expansion board (sits in a PCI-slot, but does not \"use\" it). I have seen prices for this one from $ 49 to 109.

I think it is wiser to go for the more advanced Hammerfall Digi9636 (that\'s the full name).

Interesting.. yes, I\'ve been looking at RME\'s Web site. I\'ve also been chatting with Sweetwater rep Brad Lyons in email. He also mentioned the problem they\'re having with the RME HDSP series & Giga under WindowsXP. Hopefully they\'ll work those problems out.

Here\'s my scenario: I have a Digi 001 on a PC, running Windows XP Home Edition and Pro Tools LE 5.3.1. What I\'d like to to is to build a separate PC to run GigaStudio 32, with an ADAT-capable sound card like one of RME\'s. I\'ll use the optical output of the card to feed 8 channels of Giga into the Digi 001 and my Pro Tools session. I\'m kind of new to digital audio, so I may be asking some very basic questions.

One thing that I\'m concerned about is the synchronization between the Giga PC and Pro Tools. Assuming that I\'ll be controlling Giga via Midi from my Pro Tools session, do you guys forsee any problems with sync? Will it be via MTC?

Another thing- I was considering using a card like the DIGI96/8 because it has one ADAT output, with 8 channels. The Digi 001 only has one optical port, so I couldn\'t see why I would want a card with more than 8 channels of digital audio. But, if I got a card with, say, 16 channels, and if I have 16 channels of Giga output, I suppose I could pre-mix these 16 down to 8 on the Giga PC, for input to the Digi 001. Thoughts?

This looks like the perfect card for giga use. It\'s got extremely low latency from what I\'ve heard and just the essentials, no expensive bells and whistles.

Wordclock is commonly used for synching. The higher-end RME cards (9652, digiface, etc.) have this but I don\'t think the Digi 001 does so that\'s another reason for you not to bother with the next step up cards.

Do you know what the problem is exactly as I\'ve been looking at this card also.

Ben Ripley

Daedalus- you mean the RME HDSP 9652 card? To clarify, the problem Brad was talking about is with the HDSP series cards, not the DIGI96/8. Sorry, don\'t know what exactly the problem is. Maybe he will see this thread and speak up. Brad? Care to comment?

Else you could email him from the link on his site:
    or call him at (800)222-4700 x1362

(Brad, how\'s about a little discount for the plug, hahaha)

No. I was asking about the Digi96/8. If the problem is only with the HDSP9652 then this does not concern me. I was interested in the 96/8.

Go Back to forum