• Register
  • Help

Topic: THE Perfect dedicated Gigastudio system

Share/Bookmark

THE Perfect dedicated Gigastudio system

I know this is the wrong forum for this subject but, I figured, if you\'ve got the perfect system you won\'t be looking in \"software\" or \"hardware issues\" forums

If you do wish to reply (and I really hope you do) then I have posted the same discussion in \"Hardware issues / solutions\"

If anyone out there is getting Giga Studio to work (on a dedicated machine) with NO pops, clicks etc. And achieving the full 160 notes of polyphony then please tell me how the hell you are doing it.

Specs please:

Motherboard
    RAM
    CPU
    SCSI/UDMA Hard drive
    Soundcard (If you have a Delta-66 I\'d really like to know)

MIDI controller (USB, Serial, network)
    Graphics Card (Does this matter? even if acceleration is turned off?)

Settings:

VCache
    Virtual Memory
    Read ahead optimisation
    95 98 98se Me
    Crucial Bios settings
    Extra ordinary settings like changing the windows shell from explorer to gigastudio

Library size (I get 160 using Gigapiano but not with my orchestral library - there I am peaking at 140)

I realise that there is probably no real perfect system out there. They\'re all gonna crash at some point. But there has to be some that crash less than others

If you do have a “perfect” giga system but you are thinking to yourself: “I can’t be bothered” – just think of the pain and suffering that can be ended by your simple worldly words of wisdom!

Mr.Stroud

Re: THE Perfect dedicated Gigastudio system

There is already a thread out there cataloging PC system components. I don\'t recall the address. Does anyone know it?

clueless

Motherboard
    Tyan S2390B Socket A

RAM
    1.0GB Micron

CPU
    AMD Athlon 1.2GHZ 266FSB

SCSI/UDMA Hard drive

20GB 7200 ATA100 WD Boot
    40GB 7200 ATA100 WD Data
    40GB 7200 ATA100 WD Data

Adaptec 2940
    SCSI Plextor 12X CD-RW
    SCSI Kenwood 52X Truex CDROM

Soundcard (If you have a Delta-66 I\'d really like to know)

SB Live Platinum
    Echo Layla

MIDI controller (USB, Serial, network)

SB Live Drive MIDI In (Alesis QS8 or BC Rich Virgin with Roland GK2A through a Roland GR-30) or SB Live MIDI (on card) (Blaster Keys 49 Key controller)

Graphics Card (Does this matter? even if acceleration is turned off?)

ATI Radeon Dual Display, acceleration at full, actually.

Settings:

VCache
    32MB Min, 512MB Max
    Virtual Memory
    1.0GB
    Read ahead optimisation
    Full
    95 98 98se Me
    98SE

Crucial Bios settings

USB, Parallel, and Serial all off.

Extra ordinary settings like changing the windows shell from explorer to gigastudio

Wow, I never thought of doing that. Anyone else try that?

And yes, I get 160 Polyphony. Haven\'t heard any pops or clicks, I loaded a ton of orchestral stuff, and the max I was able to hit was 152 or something. (I haven\'t really tried pushing it too hard yet. )

Yo SOD123,

I have the same MB as you ( Tyan S2390B ) and the Mia soundcard.
    How do you disable the USB port from the Bios ??? I see it for Serial and Parallel port but can\'t find where the USB enable/disable . Also you mention that you disable USB, Parallel and serial port ....uh !! what do you use for mouse and keyboard ( don\'t you need those ports ??

Go Back to forum