• Register
  • Help

Topic: While we wait for the v2.5 upgrade..........

Share/Bookmark

While we wait for the v2.5 upgrade..........

I guess many of you, like me, are anxiously waiting for the v2.5 upgrade for GigaStudio, so we can install Windows XP AND enjoy GigaStudio.

The post about the progress was dated back to September 7th, does anyone have any idea of how long we must wait before it\'s ready? 3 months, 1 month or just a few weeks?

I tried to run the WinXP compatibility test, and Gigastudio + it\'s DSP was not the only element expected to be uncompatible; Cubase VST, Audiophile 2496 +mixer also was reported as uncompatible.

However, on the Cubase forum it was posted that Cubase and the Audiophile (with win2000 drivers) work fine with XP, so I guess the Gigastudio upgrade is the final piece of the puzzle.

Had anyone installed XP yet? If so, have you had any problems?

Re: While we wait for the v2.5 upgrade..........

XP is a major plus. Beware that all your software has stabel XP drivers BEFORE you maek the switch.

GS2.5 is reported to be launched end september. However, this was a Nemesys employee newsgroup post, not an official engagement.

Why would I want to run windows XP. I doubt that other software that I use will work on it without upgrades. Is there some real benefit? Interested in opinions.

clueless

memory management
    stability
    SMP
    overall preformance
    remote assistance

If your software runs on Win2K, it will almost always run on WinXP. WinXP is also compatible with Win2K drivers.

I am running W98SWE. Would software for 98SE work directly on XP?

clueless

For the time being...if you\'re happy with Win98 ...stick to it; If not... first check if your software supports XP (not all do). New XP versions are often also feature upgrades.
    Be aware that MS plans XP to completely replace win98 rather sooner than later. It will be the new standard. Period.

I\'ve been running several beta\'s and RC\'s to complete satsifaction. The only thing lacking today is the lack of stable drivers. But then again XP is not out yet.
    (the first official copies apear Monday as the OS of some new PCs).

One of the pluses of XP is the ability to be compatible with 95/98/98se/win 2k/NT4 .exe\'s.The driver issue is the main thing,although there are other issues as far as Giga is concerned because Giga is not simply just an .exe.Memory management is the big deal that will make this the choice for DAW,not to mention 64 bit apps that are coming.

Go Back to forum