• Register
  • Help

Topic: MSG32 crash w/Sonar and Giga!

Share/Bookmark

MSG32 crash w/Sonar and Giga!

I have been plagued with this horrible bug for a while now. Whenever I am loading in
    sounds in Gigastudio to find a sound that I want to use, there is a chance that Win98 displays an error message about MSG32,
    which runs in the background in my tray. When this happens, I can click \'close\' and
    then the pc hard locks. It happens roughly about 1 out of every 20 times that I am
    loading in a sound in Gigastudio I don\'t think it has ever happened while loading a
    presaved group of sounds for a project. End tasking MSG32 prevents Sonar from working.

This happen to anyone else?

Muze

Re: MSG32 crash w/Sonar and Giga!

It happens to quite a few people including me. Some have solved their problem by switching to another computer -- new MB, sound card, video card, etc. There seems to be no general purpose fix. You just have to live with it unless you want to change computers. Reloading Windows from scratch has been known to help but often the problem come right back.

Let me know if you discover something. BTW, there have been several threads on the subject.

clueless

Re: MSG32 crash w/Sonar and Giga!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Muzexia:
    Whenever I am loading in
    sounds in Gigastudio to find a sound that I want to use, there is a chance that Win98 displays an error message about MSG32...
    End tasking MSG32 prevents Sonar from working.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi. My name is Ken and I have msg32 problems. But I\'ve been msg32-clean for seven weeks.

While I don\'t know of a cure, I\'ve been able to avoid outbreaks and live a healthy Gigalifestyle. Here\'s what I know:

First, you can\'t live without the msg32... program. Deleting/disabling it is not an option.

Second, it seems that the msg32 error almost always (for folk like us) results from programs fighting over the soundcard. Do you ever get the error when running only Giga?

You might want to try disabling sound on any programs that don\'t really need it (including Windows event sounds... msg32 errors can occur if a Windows event .wav is missing or corrupt). If you\'re running Sonar and Giga, you might want to experiment with the order you load and unload them. I find that I have to load my sequencer/audio program first, then load GigaSt. When I close programs, I have to do it in the reverse order. If I close my sequencer/audio program with Giga still running, I\'m in for msg32 hurt.

This goes against the Giga wisdom of launching your sequencer from within Giga, but it works for me. It also means that my sequencer handles MIDI in, but I can live with that.

I know there\'s been discussion in this forum before on msg32, so maybe others can share their tips for getting this monkey off their back.

KB

Go Back to forum