• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hallion Vs Gigastudio

Share/Bookmark

Hallion Vs Gigastudio

Give me some raisons to buy Gigastudio rather
    than Hallion (Steinberg)

Work hallion already with the new Windows Xp ?

Are the filters better ?

olivier
    (FRANCE)

Re: Hallion Vs Gigastudio

You may want to do a search on Halion for comments from users and most importantly, some developers of sample libraries. There was just one thread a couple weeks ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haydn:
    You may want to do a search on Halion for comments from users and most importantly, some developers of sample libraries. There was just one thread a couple weeks ago.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Olivier!

I can certainly recommend Halion.
    Since giga import and an advanced key trigger feature was introduced, import of many giga libraries works fine.

Halion\'s overall performance is quite good, and you have many options for saving CPU capacity should this be needed. You can e.g, bypass its filters and/or use a lower sampling rate. In particular for natural, accoustic sounds, Halion\'s raw mode works fine: giving you a LOT of voices on even modest PC\'s.

I\'m using it together with Cubase VST32, B4 and pro52 VST plugins on a P3-800EB, overclocked Ausus CUBX at 133Mhz, 783 MB ram. Hammerfall52 IO, Matrox G400DH videocard, Windows 98SE. This set-up is stable an feels very fast.

The tight intergation of Halion in Cubase VST makes it a dream to work with. You just save the song you\'re working on, and all Halion samples and setings will be there next time you start again.

Of course there are some bugs, but no showstoppers. I understand that a forthcoming release also allows import of compressed giga files, as used e.g. by East West. Hopefully it offers some more modulation destination\'s (e.g. amp/filter envelopes), here some improvement is welcome.

From an audio quality perspective Halion absolutely shines. I also have 8 E6400\'s with total 1GB ram, and Halion is able to replace these in most cases. One powerful Emu feature is missing so far: random sample trigering.

In comparison, I subjectively rate Halion a touch more transparant then the Emu\'s (and an even bigger touch compared to Akai\'s). Transients are handled better then any other sampler I\'ve used. A very important aspect of any sampler is its anti-aliasing filters, and also here Halion does not dissapoint. It\'s also simply marvelous not to wory anymore about things like Digital IO clock sync issues and cable spagheti behind the racks.

The only restriction might be whenever you want to use Halion\'s filter for more artificial, electronic sound shaping. Here nothing beats imo a real discrete analog filter. For \'normal\' purpose such as getting a brighter tone at higher velocities, Halion\'s filters are alright. But rumours have it that more (better) filters are implemented in the future, most likely at the cost of higher CPU ussage.

For me personally, Halion as it is now is already a dream come true!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Techmusicom:
    Give me some raisons to buy Gigastudio rather
    than Hallion (Steinberg)

Work hallion already with the new Windows Xp ?

Are the filters better ?

olivier
    (FRANCE)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jesus!
    You have 8 E6400\'s
    and you are happier with Halion....
    So tell me how can I get a Protheus
    sound into Halion....
    I have Halion and Giga.
    Halion is kneet, but Giga
    is much more stable and free of
    audio clicks, AT THE MOMENT!
    But its true that since Halion can import GIga,
    Giga is in real trouble now!

Hi Emailgross!

Emu has released the proteus sounds long time back in its series of orange sample CDs in E3 format. I got some of them in my studio in Sweden, including one which has many banks of 2MB proteus sounds. They even contain the \"world\" proteus ones, with e.g. a banjo and a fine Indian tampur sample.

As I\'m at the moment in India, I can\'t verify if these load into Halion, they do of course in E4\'s.
    But are the old proteus sounds very important to you? Would say that most of them are by current standards more or less outdated. They have a very short sample length, and therefore a quite syntetic sustain. You can get much better quality elsewhere!

Regarding Halion stability: when it crashes here it\'s mostly after using its megatrigg feature. If you for instance merge different programs on different channels into one where the sounds to be switched based on controler value or key, Halion sometimes crashes when megatrigg is set-up before they are merged. My workaround is then to merge first, and then to apply megatrigg.

But indeed: we are not there yet, and Steinberg will no doubt iron out the main issues. Hope they do it soon!

And yes, eventhough I\'m quite happy with the Emu\'s, working with Halion is more efficient once you get to know the program.

Apart from the random sample triggerering, the Emu\'s also allow more crossfade options using MIDI controllers. So far, I only managed in Halion to crossafe between 2 sounds. You can\'t apply a Xfaded dedicated controller range for a particular sound set in Halion that has more then 2 sounds to mix using one MIDI controller with each one fading from null to max. Emu has its powerful \"real time Xfade\" option. So, no final goodbye yet to the harware!

All the best, Robert.

It you have GSt, why would you want to use Proteus sounds? They were good 10 years ago, but…

Copy of Dave message :

A couple of points come to mind right off the bat:
    1. Halion only works within Cubase and Nuendo. This is a big difference for me. Not everyone uses one of these applications, so to make the use of the product dependant upon running one of these programs is a bit of a bummer.

2. No multiple MIDI ports. Being limited to 16 MIDI channels is tough as well. No elaborate orchestrations being done here, I suppose.

3. No Quicksound technology. This is a huge difference. I can search my 120 GB Medea drive (87 GB full!) with Quicksound for every piano I have installed, and have them all at my finger tips ready to audition in seconds.

4. Latency. Giga exists and functions at the \"kernel\" level of a computer. This means that essentially Giga is communicating directly with the hardware (sound card in this situation). The engineers call this \"coding close to the metal\", because it is the cleanest and most efficient coding that can be done with an application on a PC. Other soft synths and samplers must work in what is called the \"user\" level. Your OS and all of your other applications live here. In a nutshell, everything that resides here has to communicate with the sound card through the OS. This is why these types of applications are consistently plagued by latency issues.

I know of people getting latency measurements of less than 5 milliseconds total latency.
    The thing to keep in mind when other companies throw around their latency specs, is that most of the time they are only factoring the audio latency, and not the front end MIDI latency as well. The Giga latency numbers are measured from the time the key is struck, until you hear the sound.

5. As far as Halion being able to import and play Giga instruments. I suppose that this is a logical evolution. Giga is the undisputed king of sample libraries, and I can\'t fault anyone for wanting to get in on the action.

I think the important thing to keep in mind here, is that these instruments were created for Giga, and like anything that is \"converted\" from it\'s original format, you are more than likely going to lose some of the cool features of the instrument. These instruments have been created using the virtually limitless file size platform, and features and functions unique to Giga. Giga created the disk streaming technology, and with it came an incredibly raised ceiling on what could be done.

I suppose I could put a Ferrari engine in my Ford Probe...and call it a Ferrari. (Hey! A project for this weekend! )

6. The way that Halion buffers the first segment of each sample is less efficient than Giga. I could import my Giga Piano into Halion, and it would need roughly 200 MB to load within Halion (Halion loads between 2-4 seconds of each sample into installed RAM).

The same piano loaded into Giga will only use 61 MB. Giga only needs the first 64K of each sample.

7. I don\'t think pros like Hans Zimmer have 26 Halion systems in their studio.

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave Casey (edited 10-04-2001).]

Go Back to forum