• Register
  • Help

Topic: When to upgrade from my one-machine setup?

When to upgrade from my one-machine setup?

I was just wondering when I should start using dual machines for GigaStudio. My current stats:

one computer, used for everything (apps, web development, email, gaming, giga):
    Athlon 900MHz
    512MB RAM
    XP Pro
    1 Maxtor 80GB HD
    1 unknown 10GB HD (for backups)

Sound setup:
    Sonar XL 2.0
    Audiophile 2496
    GOS Lite
    Xsample #8
    SAM Horns
    Schimmel 5.0
    misc. G-Town and SAM samples

I\'ve never really had any issues. I use one single drive for everything, and a 2nd one for nightly backups. No pops/clicks that people talk about when working with one drive. I did have some issues with pops and clicks but I upgraded to a beta release of the Audiophile drivers and it\'s solid now, with the exception of an occasional blue screen every couple months or so.

But I was wondering, when will I need multiple computers? Or, when will I need one single computer dedicated to audio, and have a separate machine for development/gaming/email/surfing/etc? When Giga160 isn\'t enough polyphony, I take it? I think I might be ok until I get GOS Advanced, or VSL (yeah right!) or something else that takes up a lot of polyphony.

Just wondering so I can plan ahead. Thanks!

Los Angeles

Re: When to upgrade from my one-machine setup?

MD, It would seem that you answered your own question. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The only time you \'need\' to add/upgrade is if you are un-able to do what you \'need\' to do on your current system.

I\'m so much help aren\'t I? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You rock. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sam, like he said, you\'ll know... My main DAW can do 2 heavy things at once, like sequence and GS, but when I needed 3 at once (ie almost always) I spent lots o time fiddling, and it pissed me off. My sequencer timing would get loose, so I\'d reconfigure and then my softsynth would crackle, reconfigure and Oasys would crash, and round and round I\'d go.

With 2, I can just crank out the sound I had in mind and it always works. Just don\'t underestimate the amount of setup it takes to make multiple systems really work together, midi routing to the external box is different, audio routing, digital syncing, mixing, and networking... It can be a lot of work!

Anyway, before there was a limited amount I could do before I ran into trouble, now I have a lot more independent processing power, no interactions or trouble.

Downsides to multiple machines: more studio noise, longer to get the studio up to record, and projects won\'t be self contained unless you have your network in order.

Go Back to forum